Lost my best Doe!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My NZW Doe was due to have kits a few days ago and her stomach was very big and I was excited!. So, a couple of days before she was to have the kits I threw in a bunch of hay and a box. She, as usual started to grab hay in her mouth and put in the box, this would have been the 29th day. I put a pretty good amount of hay in the box before I put it in her cage. Well, the next morning I went out to feed and I noticed she was laying very still, but you know how Rabbits do that all the time. Well, this time she was already stiff and dead, it just made me sick she was a great Mom and milker. I looked at her after I got her out of the cage around her mouth looked wet and frothy, also her front paws? Do not know what happened, I guess I should have cut her open but I just could not bring myself to do it. Wonder what happened? :(

Frank from Bama

So sorry you lost her, Frank! :cry: Why is always the best ones?

Has it been very hot where you are lately? If so, the wetness and froth around the mouth could be from heat stroke. It's the only thing that comes to mind at the moment.

Hope someone here can help you sort it out.

Could it have been the heat that did it?
When rabbits go through heat stroke they will drool and wet their paws with spit in an attempt to cool down.

I almost lost all of mine to heat stroke last year... was her head tilted up at a funny angle? I know we had some nasty hot and humid weather lately so I assume it went far enough south to you guys as well...

my condolences
- I also have lost some of my best does right before kindling dates, when it was warm outdoors-[when all the other rabbits were just fine]- now days even in my climate I am very careful with pregnant does to make sure they can get cool if I suspect the weather could get too warm-- when rabbits are going into labor they produce a lot more body heat.
------ When I was in N. Florida I stopped breeding in the mid-summer months after loosing a few very nice does...--
no mater how long ,or how many rabbits I have raised-- it is sad to loose them...
wish you the best---

Thanks to everyone. I think some of you may be right about the heat stroke. You know usually when it comes to "Meat Rabbits" things like this doesn't bother me but this time it did. She was such a great Doe and usually have around 8 kits.......I guess I am very lucky, I have some of her Daughters that are around 4 months old. So I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel....Thanks so much to everyone that posted and educated me about heat stress ...Thanks! :)

Frank from Bama

Back