Setting rules.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So, I live with 5 other people which is my man his two younger brothers, his mom and step-dad. Plus we have the on land neighbors who's house burned down and they have recently moved into a small trailer. Well they have a kid who has a rabbit that's with all my other rabbits. I have baby rabbits over there and she's chose one but I don't want her to mess with my rabbits because the mom's can be aggressive from time to time to people who aren't me... I want to make a list of rules for my rabbitry.. Stuff like don't touch rabbits, etc. But I want them to be kid friendly.. Does anyone have any rules they've set for their kids? I could use some help! >3<

Set whatever rules you want and feel appropriate. As long as you don't go out out of your way to be a jerk, any rule is a-ok.
If you don't want her in there it is ok to say so. Or she can only be in there and she can only touch her rabbit. Your rabbits, your rules.
Think about how this kid behaves in there so far and tailor your rules to what you do or do not want her doing. It's ok to say she can't touch the rabbits because they bite people they don't know. Its ok to say she can pet a baby but you have to be the one to take it out of the cage.
How old is the kid? As long as you're not yelling at her and calmly explaining the rules it should be all good. It also would probably be helpful to set consequences if she doesn't follow the rules.

She's like 9 and my only issue is her trying to play with baby bunnies. I think I might set just over all rules.. Basically a don't pet touch without my permission which means I have to be there rule... I don't want her to get hurt and I also don't want my rabbits to get hurt because she's trying to take charge.I'd also like to see what rules people have set in place for their kids just out of curiosity

Buy an inexpensive padlock or combination lock and lock the cage with the babies. Easier on everyone if she is not in temptation. I know it doesn't teach her responsibility and self-control, but it is not your job to do that. Protect her and your rabbits by taking action. Just my opinion... feel free to disregard if you like. :)

MaggieJ":161vk9dn said:
Buy an inexpensive padlock or combination lock and lock the cage with the babies. Easier on everyone if she is not in temptation. I know it doesn't teach her responsibility and self-control, but it is not your job to do that. Protect her and your rabbits by taking action. Just my opinion... feel free to disregard if you like. :)

I concur. A young kids like that might think she can handle rabbits by herself, next thing you know she's set all your rabbits loose on accident.

I kinda get the impression you are around your rabbits a lot from the various posts you post. So requiring your presence won't prevent this girl from seeing her rabbit.

I agree with the lock. We have a neighbor who has a 10 year old daughter. During the summer I mostly keep the garage door open for better air flow, and to help push the heat out. I have had many time that I would come out to the garage, and she'd be standing there with kit in her hands, or I'd come out to find cage doors open, and while I am not sure about how your 9 year old acts, our neighbors daughter just outright 90% of the time ignores my rules. Thankfully after catching her the last time with a group of her friends in my garage I gave her a good talking to, and now she waits to see if I am outside, or comes to the door, and asks if she can go look at them.

The only issue with the padlock is I wouldn't be able to attach it to the hutch... They weren't built by me or trust me it'd be set up in a way I could.. Her parents are like super protective so it's rare they aren't watching her... Even when they work *They blow glass in a studio in our yard *I can post a pic! it looks pretty cool when they work** She sits outside the studio in her chair. I'm gonna let all the adults know baby bunnies need not to be messed with without me around. I'll make sure to let her parents know and they'll let her know. She's a very respectful little girl I don't want ya'll to think she's a brat and disrespectful.. She is just VERY independent. I don't wanna padlock it because I feel that's a bit much right now. I usually don't tell them there is babies till they get older so she usually doesn't know until I've moved them into what I call the brooder, (It's a bigger hutch with more space)

Anyway, one rule should be that nothing must be fed that you didn't approve first.

If she is interested in the rabbits you could invite her helping with chores, that may be a way to dampen that cute-baby-bunny effect. :wr_love:

I've tried letting her help and it was not a pleasant experience. I have voiced the rules no treats to bunnies without my ok after finding an apple core in a cage.. I give my buns the core but I make sure there are no seeds left whatsoever. So treats are put into a bowl and I hand them out or allow someone else to and I tell them only a little for each and typically go along... Thankfully the latch on the hutch with the kits isn't easy to open

I give my buns the core but I make sure there are no seeds left whatsoever.

And that's -why? I know they contain cyanids, but the amount is neglactable, they can handle that (we can too). As far as I know you would need to feed several pounds of apple seeds at once to get ill effects.
That it's all over the internet doesn't make true, is that with apple seeds as an example for natural cyanids tought in school?

The sugar in the apples is imho the thing to consider them as rather rare treats.

Preitler":2i5jqf7t said:
I give my buns the core but I make sure there are no seeds left whatsoever.

And that's -why? I know they contain cyanids, but the amount is neglactable, they can handle that (we can too). As far as I know you would need to feed several pounds of apple seeds at once to get ill effects.
That it's all over the internet doesn't make true, is that with apple seeds as an example for natural cyanids tought in school?

The sugar in the apples is imho the thing to consider them as rather rare treats.

Some times what is OK for one, will not work for another. One rabbit may be extremely tolerant, another die with half a seed's worth.

On the rules note though, have you talked to parents with child present? Taking a positive approach over negative, don't do this don't do that...may go over well better. Along the lines of, I'm thrilled so and so is interested in the rabbits, but they are a lot of work and worry. I don't want to see any accidents happen, so I have a few things that must be done. I can't have x, y, z etc going on or there could be injuries to not only to the person that done it but rabbit as well. Some rabbits don't deal well with accidents, and I could end up with dead rabbits which I really don't want. I hope that's understandable and you'll be able to follow the rules for the rabbits otherwise might have to consider alternative completely hands off of x,yz rabbits (whatever their names are) unless I am present.

That may be your safest bet, no doing any thing unless I'm there as the rabbits are really fragile. Its great to be understanding, but you're still the one responsible. Only issue I see is if they own the property...then that could be a whole 'nother animal as some property owners have the if its here I can bother it too attitude.

I like what you have to say Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry. I've talked to them and explained to them that these rabbits can do some damage. My boyfriends step-dad got bit by one of my babies and it caused him to bleed... I've explained these babies can get dropped and they can die and I've explained that only her rabbit can be petted and held by her. I think eventually I might get locks of some sort.. But I don't think I really need too.. If she does however mess with one of my does or kits then I will be buying locks and informing everyone that there are locks and why. I don't mind putting locks on my hutches but I really don't want if I don't have to because it's just more hassle for me to deal with.. I'm not worried about other people getting into our hutches mostly because of where they are... They are down a hill and behind two fences *chain link* under a tree.. You can't see them until you get relatively close...

Latest posts

Back