Thoughts on Holland Lop kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Point Rabbitry

Reaction score
Especially if you really didn't have room for any more bucks?

This one is out of Cedar Point Summer x Bucks Gone Wild Twono. He doesn't have much of a pedigree, I only have Summer's sire's pedigree (who happens to be a harlequin)

Opinions? I really like how he looks, but I also thought he was a doe till recently :oops:

So I need some hard truths :D

Attachments

• DSC_8971.jpg
    DSC_8971.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 3,142
  • DSC_8984.jpg
    DSC_8984.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 3,142
  • DSC_8995.jpg
    DSC_8995.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 3,142
Thanks! Not exactly sure what it is, but he's supposed to be a very light black tort :)

Normally, if my kits look really good at 4 weeks, that's how they will mature. So this is hard :)

I'd keep him! He might have some really pretty babies come out *even though sadly he is a buck* I wouldn't give something that pretty away because what are the chances you'll get that again?

I just went to see some of my stock that I sold ~~~ and one was a gorgeous siamese sable buck ~~~ OMG, I should have kept him ! ...
... but I made arrangements to breed him to some of my does (for a price) ... but wow, I should have kept him *kicking myself again*

So back to your question ~~~ after yesterday, I vote keep him, again, lol

Cute black tort and seems to like to pose. Would you take a photo of the side and of his feet. I usually can get over the cuteness if I figure out if the hindquarters are pinched. If they're not and he's smooth then I don't see why you wouldn't keep him. This is obviously if you are showing or breeding for a show crowd.

^^ His hindquarters are a tad pinched, but better then most of my Hollands. Here are a couple more pictures of him from today :)

I decided to grow him out and see how he looks :) <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:40 pm __________ <br /><br /> Also, what do you think of this Broken Black girl? She's his sister.

Attachments

• DSC_9351.jpg
    DSC_9351.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 3,026
  • DSC_9362.jpg
    DSC_9362.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 3,026
  • DSC_9388.jpg
    DSC_9388.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 3,025
They look real good for four weeks but you really have to grow them out, Hollands are tough that way, what looks super young can just not mature well.

I start evaluation at 4-5 weeks, cull anything with obvious faults at 8 weeks and give the best time to grow. If you know your herds strengths and weaknesses it helps a bunch. I want to see babies that improve in their parents, sometimes that happens and sometimes it doesn't. I have one litter currently that I'm keeping all four and the doe isn't hugely impressive and another litter with a nicer doe and I only got one kit out of four that I looove.

First things I want to see are nice thick and short bone, mass in the body, naturally upright pose and a cute head/ear/crown.

He is so cute! I would also try to keep him if I could, but I usually only keep one buck and I like to sell them since they dont have the hormonal swing the females can get later on...Tough choice, what a handsome little guy!

I'm quite happy with how both are turning out...:)

They're a bit over 3 months old here. DOB is March 4, 2016.

Starbuck's front legs are the most annoying to me, lol :D

Attachments

• DSC_3546.jpg
    DSC_3546.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 576
  • DSC_3660.jpg
    DSC_3660.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 576
  • DSC_3517.jpg
    DSC_3517.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 576

Latest posts