What else besides Vienna?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinnia

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I can get a picture if you need it...

I have some angora rabbits that popped up with a small white stripe on the top of the head of half the litter. The sire is a REW and the the dam is a Lilac. Both parent's lines originate from the same breeder. This is the dam's first litter (I have both parents and aunts who have had litters). From the sire, I have other litters and none have the white stripe. It seems to be the combination of these two parents. They are two different breeds of angora. The breeder says it's not Vienna, but something else that pops up in the breed (Giant) that is culled for. So... I'm wondering, if it's not Vienna marking, then what is it?

It's been a LONG time since I've been on and I miss you all!!!

Just a "mis-mark" gene that the inheritance is not well understood or desirable, hence the culling of afflicted kits and limited breeding of known carriers

Thanks Dood! It's too fun to play with a mystery! I find it interesting that neither the buck, nor doe (or her relations) ever had this before. I guess that means that the doe and buck both needed some hidden thing to produce half a litter of kits marked like this. So, it must be recessive, need two copies and can hide until they are paired!

Latest posts

Back