Service dogs at shows

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
I don't want to start a debate I just want some advice. I have a service dog and I normally don't bring him to rabbit shows. But I am going to one 7 hours away and will be gone from home for three to four days. That is a bit to long not to have the dog with me so I am probable going to bring him with me. Question is how to best accommodate other peoples rabbits while I am there? Was thinking of bring a soft crate and having my Service dog stay in there during the show unless I need him to do a task. That a way the dog is not constantly walking around with me.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

I've debated about that. I have a dog that wouldn't even stop to sniff a rabbit but I worry other people's rabbits will freak if we come near any. My own rabbits I've brought home have sometimes gone a bit crazy at seeing my dogs that completely ignore them. I had one climb up into the corner of her cage and stay there for hours. If you keep the dog out of the main areas and crate most of the time it would probably work but because of the number of rabbits that panic at the mere sight of a dog I wouldn't even walk one around the outside of the building where groups sometimes gather before or after their class is shown.

Yeah the problem is I have never been to this show before so I have no idea what the facility is like. Will there be enough room to crate the dog? Can I keep the dog toward the outside of the show room? I just don't know. Rabbits tend to be less freaky in show carriers but there might be some coops there. I went to a state fair last summer and showed. I kept the dog out of the area the rabbits were held the entire time. Was a pain for me but I really needed the dog at the fair so it was a compromise.

I might have to talk to a friend about the facilities and see what she thinks. Thanks for input akane. The dog in question would never hurt a rabbit. I trust him to be out with mine when they are having some exercise in the house. He just doesn't care at all that they are there. My other dog is a whole other story he gets put outside when I bring rabbits in. :lol:

It seems to depend on your area. Here not everyone is confined to the building and they bring their own cages. You've got stacks and rows of cages on the floor everywhere. There are barely big enough paths to get humans through to the show tables and then groups lining the outside of buildings who know each other or have similar breeds. There's no way you'd get a dog in there. It would have to stay at your car. Many people just leave the back of an suv open and leave their cages stacked in there rather than cram in next to everyone else. I know some shows though are the opposite. You get an assigned off the ground cage (s) in the building and everything is more organized than the typical chaos around here.

Call whoever is in charge of organizing the show and let them know. They should be able to help best. Legally they have to accommodate you, maybe they could arrange to give you table space along the outskirts of the room where it would be easier to crate the dog.

Back