Hybird for meat rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEP board

Reaction score
I put a post in the breeding section but then thought that this may have been the more appropriate section. For a meat rabbit, is there any issue with breeding a mini lop buck with something like a NZ doe? Thank you.

:)

Nope

I was pleasantly surprised by an "oops" litter that the MLop X AmChin were growing quite fast and were more resistant to hepatic coccidia and now all my meat mutts have a bit of mini lop blood in them ;)

Thank you :)

Your post and the reply in the other thread confirms this is a good idea. I believe I have a source for a 2 1/2 month doe in my area.

I've thought about asking before and didn't get around to it until this thread reminded me. I know the ML breeding into your meat line wasn't planned, but looking back do you think the breed somehow complements the more traditionally meat breeds. Or just that the particular individual had great growth and cocci resistance that were passed on?
As with so many aspect of raising rabbits, there seem to be very different methods of improving the herd. Some folks seem to advocate working within a line, keeping the gene pool limited so you can uncover and cull out problems. On the other hand the oops litter, introducing something new, sometimes works well in surprising ways.
Oh well--it never gets boring with so many different aspects to consider

My mini lops certainly are not show quality but are solid little 4-5lb meat bricks as adults and the kits are very fast growers :x so much so that at 8 weeks they are over half grown and quite big compared to other pet breeds, buyers often questioned if their age was accurate ;)

The disease resistance was just luck but it does sorta make sense since pet breeds are more common and probably exposed to different diseases since most people haven't a clue about biosecurity :D

I bought a pair of show quality AmChins with less than stellar results and introduced a purebred Cali buck with terrible results so I probably would have given it a shot eventually if my nieces and nephews hadn't mixed them :p

I found mini lops to be surprisingly big and meaty. The does were the size of my standard chinchillas and those are an old meat breed. The larger rabbits may be more popular these days but the small meat breeds have their own benefits. If you avoid the ones that have been mass bred for pets and low level show stock they are often quite hardy and efficient rabbits.

While this is the complete opposite way given this would be larger not smaller like the lop. When I purchased my red nz doe she was bred to a Flemish mix buck apparently which I kept back 2 does from that litter of 6. It worked out well for me in the long run as it increased the size I think a bit of my meat rabbits from those litters but not excessively. It also gave me some broken colors too that turned out pretty neat.

Updating this thread. I plan on getting a NZ/Cali mix this coming Tuesday, a doe. Three months old. Plan to breed her with the Mini Lop buck that I have. My two English Lop does are due next weekend so perhaps I'll breed the NZ right after I get her and that sort of has kits coming around every month or so from one of the does (at least).

Back