Ohio State Laws

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfoot_158

Reaction score
I want to build a good reputation for my rabbitry. One of the reason I built my cages according to the animal welfare act. :D

I have 6 week old babies tommorrow ( june 03 16). I have been searching for min age laws for ohio so far not seeing it.

So what is the minimum age to sell rabbits (cali)?

I dont want to harm or go to jail for selling my babies. Thanks in advance.

If you really want a good reputation among breeders in general, I suggest waiting until 8 weeks to sell.
It's the legal age for sale of individual kits in PA and NY. (There is a loophole for farm sales of larger amounts of kits)

I think OH might allow younger sales, but, it seems like much of the rabbit community looks down on it.

Thanks. I have no problem waiting till 8 weeks to sell.

Can I at the least put them in a different cage? I would like to rebred my doe.

Of course! Most kits are off milk by 28 days and spend the next few weeks transitioning to complete solid food. I will make available to the kits poops from their mom til about 7 weeks so they can keep up on the bacteria if they need it.

EnglishSpot":5wd2m5h0 said:
I will make available to the kits poops from their mom til about 7 weeks so they can keep up on the bacteria if they need it.

How do I go about this? Put in a dish or j feeder?

I wait the full 8 weeks myself even if there's nothing on the books about it in FL (only restriction is 8 weeks for puppies and kittens and that's only if you accept money for them, you can give someone a puppy for free at ridiculously inappropriately young ages). I feel like their survivability in a new home is greatly increased by 8 weeks and the gender feels very accurate as well.

I leave mine with the mother until then, but I do plan to start re-breeding earlier for a more intensive regiment (timed so that kits should already be gone by about a week by the time mom is ready to kindle)

Right now (when it's not summer) I re-breed the doe when her kits are at 8 weeks and they're usually all sold/eaten in a couple days, long before kindling time.

__________ Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:38 pm __________

bigfoot_158":2oasng1h said:
Thanks. I have no problem waiting till 8 weeks to sell.

Can I at the least put them in a different cage? I would like to rebred my doe.

You can re-breed your doe even with kits still in her cage :) Just make sure they are out by kindling time.

I would like to breed back by 4 weeks old since I only have two working doe's right now. I will be taking the best 2 doe's to increase my herd. I got into this rabbit raising for the meat/homestead factor. But if people want to buy them the cash is just as good either rabbit or human food. :D

I'll mix mom poops in either with the dish of food or I'll set up a litter box that I sprinkle poops in.

If you're going to do six week breedings, be sure to feed your does up very well! After my third 6 week litters my does were super thin and bony, and they get unlimited feed, oatmeal, BOSS, and greens. I feed a 16% protein feed to everyone.

Thanks EnglishSpot ,

I have been feeding 18% pellets with treats of banana peel, fresh and dried grasses. I live in the country so I let my grass grow 3 feet tall then weed wack. This way so it doesnt fall straight thru the cage. Then I row it out like a hay field and let dry. So I can bag it for the winter feed. I thought it was a good I deal since I am on a limited budget. On the days I cut it they get the fresh grass. On the day I dont cut any they either get dried grass or hay. I dont feed any of the others that you mentioned due the budget I am lucky enough to have the pellets.

Latest posts

Back