dog hair loss

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
We haven't been treating consistently with flea meds but the ticks are horrid and the husky was scratching so we gave them revolution a week ago. Yesterday my husband was pulling some of my akita's loose fur and found a patch that completely came away. The hair and some black stuff leaving it bleeding underneath and now she's been licking it. It might be a scab that came off with it but I am not sure. The rest of her coat is thick, shiny on top (there's some undercoat I still need to rake out) and everywhere I checked including around the bald area the skin is healthy, dirt free, proper color....

We're going to the vet monday but I wanted some opinions. Personally I don't think we need to go and it was either a spot that reacted to a dying tick or an allergy we need to figure out. However, she is due for rabies and I want a fecal because she's had minor symptoms of internal parasites that improved but didn't go away after deworming so might as well get it all done.

Could it just be a hot spot? I cant tell exactly where it is located on the dog, but I know around the base of the tail is a common hot spot area. If it is on the neck/ shoulder blade area it may just be a reaction to the flea med. Either way I am sure you know to keep it dry to prevent a secondary infection. I hope you get it figured out soon.

It's in front of her hip. I still see no other spots. Some people are insisting all the black that came with the fur is a horrible amount of flea dirt but I see none on the rest of her skin. I think it's dried blood. Although coming out in somewhat ball shaped seems a bit weird. It's possible she even injured the spot. She's a very stoic dog. It has to really hurt for her to react. Often the only way I know something is wrong is because she stares off into space more and takes her raw meals slower.

From what I've seen of hot spots that isn't one. We had a cat that would get hot spots and they were big red welts on her skin, and more often than not raw from her scratching them. Around her neck is where she got them.

My friend's golden retriever had hot spots last year and she shaved him to keep them cleaner and to keep him cooler. Again, they were red welts on his body, he had some on his chest and on his tummy.

Probably, sounding from the location, she might not have been self aware when running past something and scraped it. As long as the scab wasn't pulling at her hair when she moved it wouldn't have been too painful.

Vetrycin would probably help, but you are going to take her to the vet in the morning, so whatever they say.

:D Good luck in the morning!

Latest posts

Back