What should I do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
My rabbits have thrown me a curve I dont know what to do with so thought I would get some input here. :D

I have consistently lost a kit or two from each litter (after I switched to rex two years ago) when they are born and now this spring am loosing one or two from each litter around 6 to 16 weeks of age.

For awhile now I have been wondering about the size of their lungs, when necropsied (sp?)or when butchering for meat, they just look under sized.

So this week I butchered one of our last remaining Florida Whites and found his lungs, compared to my Rex lungs, were enormous! :shock: They filled his entire rib cage.

This then is my dilemma, due to ill health of my father and many hours on the road to see him and a trip away booked this summer to visit friends over seas I had started the move to sell all my stock BUT if they have a serious defect should I sell or cull them all?

Not asking for judgments, just what you think you would do in this situation. Its got me seasawing enough to make me sea sick. :lol:

That sounds bizzare

I would disclose the information to buyers but since it only seems to be fatal in a couple kits in each litter they may not mind as Standard Rex are sometimes hard to find :shrug:

So far I have only had one interested buyer - and this is at $10 EACH :cry: - and she was well put off when I told her about the issue. Have just told another person and shall see what they do.

If I get no takers they will all go into the freezer but they are really really beautiful rabbits. http://daytona.craigslist.org/grd/5612684154.html this is my add so you can FINALLY see some pictures of my buns. :lol:

Yeh, they really are, arnt they. :D

One buyer is interested in two of them, despite their problem but I think I will take down the add this evening and then just cull them all when I get back to town.

The meat and hides will be good and then we can start again.

Which way is your trip to see your father. If you were in Virginia, I'd be coming to see you this weekend! My rex pair are probably on 60% the size of those beauties. Losing a bun or two here and there isn't that big of a deal. Maybe over time, it could be selected out anyway. Hope they find homes. Hate to think they're all freezer bound. Best wishes for your father, also!

I so wish that anyone from RT was closer and wanted them, would love them to go to good homes but I am thinking, if I cant get them sold for $25 each for proven breeders and $10 each for weanling, its just isnt worth my going any lower. :(

I just got home from a drive down to Florida! If I had seen this, I might have made DH drive a bit further so I could get myself a little trio of your youngsters, they look so good! Nevermind the fact that we don't really have the space for them yet, and we plan on moving in a few months... :oops:

I really wish you all the best selling them, and if not, I hope they taste mighty fine :D I'm curious, do you lose a few kits regardless of which does/bucks they come out of, or are there certain matches that tend to lose more offspring?

Latest posts

Back