Perfering hay to pellets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
So over the last month as it has gotten warmer here my Belgians Hares have really decreased there intake of there pellets to almost nothing. Instead they have been eating all the hay out of there hay feeders. Now I have not seen any loss of condition but it still concerns me they are not eating much pellets. My Tans and the few Dutch I have are eating well for the most part even with the increase temperature so I am not sure what is going on with the Belgians. This time last year I had one Belgian Hare now I have 12 seniors and 7 kits. So perhaps this is just the a breed thing I am not use to. Should I be concerned or just let them be? Will be contacting my mentor breeder as well with this question. Thanks

Actually I would consider it a good thing when rabbits know how much rich food they need, and not get too fat.

I feed greens whenever available, it happens that the handful pellets I offer to pregnant and nursing does lasts for days.

Preitler":13dokvb2 said:
Actually I would consider it a good thing when rabbits know how much rich food they need, and not get too fat.

I feed greens whenever available, it happens that the handful pellets I offer to pregnant and nursing does lasts for days.

I agree with Preitler. Besides getting warmer, my rabbits will regulate their rations depending on conditions. No fat bunnies here :D

pellets are too high in energy, [especially in the summer] and to low in long stem fiber for some rabbits [especially older rabbits] -- they need some extra fiber-- [ hay] -- if their condition is good-- I would not worry too much...

Thanks everyone. I am just a little nervous with some rabbits not eating any pellets at all. It is normal for them to to decrease feed intake during the summer but I have never had half the herd eat almost no pellets in a given day. Probable going to experiment for some different feeds to see if its the weather or the feed.

My rabbits go on binges. Some times all they want is hay, other times it's pellets. For me, I only give a strict amount of pellets but all the hay they want.

Several replies have suggested checking their condition and I agree that that matters more than how much they're eating. Some rabbits seem to need less feed to do well and others eat more and still act hungry. I'm really grateful to the folks on RT who suggested regularly checking condition by running a hand along backbones. Without doing that it's easy to miss when an individual rabbit begins to get a little fat--or thin.

I only feed hay twice a week and then only one tight fist full. I find my rabbits do eat hay if they can, and the problem is, there are not that may calories in it. Over time, my does lost major weight on that much hay. So, now, I only feed it twice a week as "draino" to keep things moving though them, and then one cup of pellets in the morning to the mature rabbits. IF they are out at night they get another cup, but if they have even one pellet left, they don't get more till the next feeding. My youngsters, get all the pellets they want, as do my nursing does.

BlueHaven":236qaqhp said:
I only feed hay twice a week and then only one tight fist full. I find my rabbits do eat hay if they can, and the problem is, there are not that may calories in it. Over time, my does lost major weight on that much hay. So, now, I only feed it twice a week as "draino" to keep things moving though them, and then one cup of pellets in the morning to the mature rabbits. IF they are out at night they get another cup, but if they have even one pellet left, they don't get more till the next feeding. My youngsters, get all the pellets they want, as do my nursing does.

I free feed my does and grow outs. They have all the pellets and hay they can eat while nursing a litter. My bucks on the other hand are on rations. Any non-breeding does, not that I currently have any, would also be on rations.

But that's how I do things.
Cathy

Mine munch away on hay all day and sometimes won't touch their pellets for a two days. They go to the pellets when their bodies tell them that they need this mineral or that nutrient that's in the pellets. Otherwise, this time of year my feed costs have gone way down and my rabbits look great. Long live hay!

Are you feeding grass, alfalfa or a mix of the two. My does lose weight on grass hay. Maybe I should try a different kind? Hay is way cheaper so I would be interested in knowing what kind you all feed.

BlueHaven":2tcltmzl said:
Are you feeding grass, alfalfa or a mix of the two. My does lose weight on grass hay. Maybe I should try a different kind? Hay is way cheaper so I would be interested in knowing what kind you all feed.
I use horse quality hay. Sometimes it is mixed with alfalfa and grass. But like I said hay mangers are always full. Some days they nibble the hay and scarf the pellets and others they scarf the hay and nibble pellets.

Are you free feeding pellets to your nursing does?

Mine is just plain 'ol prairie grass. I have a huge yard and I bought a scythe and stopped mowing part of it. Now I cut hay with the scythe and feed dried grass to the rabbits. Nothin' fancy. Pellets are there to make up for the nutritional deficiencies along with my small sprouting fodder system.

BlueHaven":1dtupcee said:

grass hay is a little low in calories for breeding or growing rabbits,[this is a good thing for pet rabbits] the addition of BOSS and/or rolled grain can correct this issue [and rolled or crimped grain has a lot more of the long stem fiber rabbits need, than pelleted rations, as it is not ground to a fine consistency] .

Feeding T&A hay, [timothy /alfalfa mix] usually works well for most rabbits, both are high in protein--- but, have had good result from Orchard/ alfalfa also
[for breeding / growing rabbits, hay alone is usually too low in energy to maintain good condition in does, and good growth in the kits]

Back