Depressed Doe...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm gonna start by saying she's not mine... She belongs to our neighbors which is a long story about their house burned down, they moved here and were living in the same house but have moved into a trailer on their property, and she recently lost her cat that she's had since he was a kitten *Almost a year but I mean she's a little kid...* So she hasn't been coming to see her rabbit. I see/talk to them everyday but I've noticed over the past several weeks she's not been eating or drinking. Mainly in the past 3 days I've noticed she's completely stopped. Her water gets refilled daily but I can tell she hasn't drank because the amount of water never changes other than the bits that drip. Her food also hasn't changed. I've noticed she's had this pattern of starving herself and then eating all of her food and drinking like 3 water bottles in a day. But if it changes anything the girl they bought their rabbit from said they were bred into stupidity and this doe most definitely is not the brightest crayon in the pack. She isn't blind yet has a very hard time finding water if you move her water bottle, so it stays in the same place held up by a bungee and one of those metal springs with the little clips at the ends. She hasn't ate the past few days or drank any water and it's caught my attention because her weight is dropping. Yesterday she was running laps in her cage until she was exhausted and then would lay under her water bottle with her back turned to it and us. I just don't know what to do. I don't want this little girl to loose her rabbit but I mean what do you do. Even the girls parents have said that rabbit is very stupid.

I don't feel that the rabbit being stupid or inbred is necessarily the problem here. The family that owns the animal should pay attention to their pet, and care for it, even if they brought home a special needs animal.
If they refuse to do what is needed to properly care for her, then they should give her away, sell her, or euthanize her.

Neglecting her to death is IMO one of the very worst ways to deal with an unwanted pet.

Fasting and binge eating are not normal rabbit behaviors, as they can lead to all sorts of GI issues, For example gi slowdown, stasis, and death.

At the going rate, the doe will very likely die without some fairly serious intervention.
Is she still pooping at all?

If you honestly want to save her, I'd suggest giving her electrolytes, in a bowl as well as in the bottle to ensure easy access.
Sweetening it slightly might help tempt her to drink, especially if it's something with a scent that can lead her to it.
For example, I'd had sucess with adding a tablespoon of apple cider to a bowl of water.

If she is refusing pellets, try tempting her to eat with oats, boss, safe greens or herbs, slices of apple...Whatever she will take.
Rabbits absolutely must keep eating to maintain gut motility. If she continues to refuse feed, consider dropper feeding.

That would just be the very basics to save her life, if it's still possible.
After that, one would need to look into whatever it was that caused her to go off feed repeatedly to begin with.

:goodpost:

One other thing to consider is that the rabbit's behaviour could indicate an underlying physical problem as well as feeling lonely/neglected. Do what you can for her, Buttons, but if she doesn't make it, it may be for the best.

Are you able to talk to her owners and share your concerns or are they unapproachable about such things?

So I've already talked to the family and told them she is depressed and in need of attention.. I noticed the fasting and binge eating a few days ago when she ate all of her feed at once and then wouldn't eat at all anymore. The little girl and her family has just lost their second cat the first one died in the fire and now their second one is gone as well.. I've spent time with the rabbit but it's pretty obvious it's not me she wants. She wants the human she has bonded too and I've told the family that their rabbit really misses the kid and that she really needs to go visit. I'll feed her an apple and see if she'll take it.. I'll see what I can do and I'll update you guys on how it goes.

Latest posts

Back