Are these BOSS? and questions about feeding them

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
I went to the pet shop and asked if they have BOSS. They said they had sunflower seeds but weren't sure if they were the same. They googled BOSS and said it looked like the right thing, so I got them, but I'm not sure. They are black and small, but some have one or two stripes.

If they are, how do you feed them? Just straight or do they have to have the shells off? And how much? I have a doe who is kindling soon and she loses weight easily when feeding kits. I have supplementing her with a small pile of plain oatmeal but she is still starting to get scrawny already.

If they aren't, can I still give them to her, and would it be helpful?

Attachments

• IMG_7771.JPG
    IMG_7771.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,912
They do look like BOSS to me, I feed my hard keepers when they're nursing.. just feed it whole just like that they love it!

I'd say they're sunflower seeds,, but not black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) which is all black without the stripes. You can still feed them. I'm not even sure why black oil is preferred for feed--maybe it has more oil/calories?

That is definitely sunflower seed (striped), not BOSS (black oil sunflower seed). BOSS is smaller than regular sunflower seed and pretty much all black.

Ok thanks! So I can feed regular sunflower seeds, and with the shell on? And how much? A teaspoon maybe to start? She just kindled 4 kits today, so I want to start her on them.

A teaspoon should be good or even just a few sprinkeled on her feed:) I dont usually measure mine out, but it doesnt take much....

In the future though, this is what BOSS looks like - https://equinenutritionnerd.files.wordp ... -_boss.jpg
They are a lot smaller and have a shiny luster. There is still some striping but it is very dark and hardly noticeable.

Those are indeed regular striped sunflower seeds they sold you, but they should be fine anyway. Just not as much of the good oils (I've been told) as BOSS.

Back