Rex? Harlequin/Magpies? Maybe adding one in 1 or 2 years

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
I want to add a new breed to my little rabbitry in the next year or two. I am trying to decide what to get. I will be expanding soon, I am hoping to get two or three racks with 6 cages each next year. One rack will be for my Dwarf does. I know, my rabbits don't look like Dwarfs at all, but the only breeders I could find have NDs not much better, actually. Theirs have just a bit smaller ears, and are a bit smaller, and those are the the show winners. So, I am happy with my pet Dwarf program and will be expanding that. The other rack will be for my Dwarf buck, a mix buck, and a future Dwarf buck, and also three mix does I will be getting for fun as breeders. They will be in the 4-5 pound range.

And then, if possible, I want to add a new breed in another rack. I found a breeder who breeds show rabbits, they are far away but I could ship. They have several breeds, and are the only breeder I know who carries them. I can't decide between standard rex, and Harlequins(the breed). They have both of these, and even have Harli and Magpie Rex. I love that color, so I want that in either breed.

What are the pros and cons of these breeds? I want a rabbit with a good personality, hardy, big but not huge, and with nice Harli and Magpie coloring. Of course the individual matters, but which breed is better? I am leaning towards the Harlequin, but I love Rex fur.

These will be for pet breeding mostly, not for show as I'm too far from the only rabbit association in SA.

Should I post a link to the breeder?

I know it's a bit early to decide, so it's mostly just for fun, and not set in stone.

Or, maybe I will just get a trio of both breeds :lol: :p

I have rex and I just love them. Will you be doing pelts on some of them? Will you be eating some of them? If doing pelts, the rex is the way to go. If not I would consider the Harlis as you can show them if you get the chance some time. Harli is not a showable color in Rex. I do know, that my does get pretty hormonal if not bred, and some get really grumpy when pregnant. Out of my 5 breeding does, only one is fairly sweet and just loves all over her babies. She is my joy. The others I can live without. I have only been in this a year and it is very hard to find really good stock in my state, if you find it, they want to keep it.
I would just handle several of each breed if you can, so you can judge temperaments on each breed.

With rex, I had a sore hocks problem right from the start, which prevented me from really getting into the breed.

The harlequins I have are docile, gentle, good mothers who raise large litters, and are hardy to forage feeding.

Some might not appreciate how rough or unrefined they look compared to most show breeds, but I find it refreshing to be able to breed towards just "rabbit shaped" rabbits. The focus is a lot more on color and markings than type.

I still have to watch and cull for basic health issues, like pinched hips or wry tail.

The do not grow anywhere near as fast as any commercial type meat rabbits I have had, but they do seem to adjust to dietary changes a lot more easily. I find them to be low fuss and easy to work with.

Different lines are going to have different traits however, so it's probably best to ask the breeder about their own lines. :)

Attachments

• DSCN3940.JPG
    DSCN3940.JPG
    347.1 KB · Views: 1,259
  • DSCN4048.JPG
    DSCN4048.JPG
    422.1 KB · Views: 1,259
Thanks for the input!

I love how your Harlis sound Zass! I like Rex, but I am just in love with your Harlis, so I will probably go with those if I can. The markings are so pretty. It would be fun to breed for those and an actual rabbit look.

Latest posts

Back