Malnourished Kit- Please Help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!! There has been a kit in our litter, and it was very small even at birth. But he hasn't grown much, and he seems like he eats nothing. I considered separating him from the others to get a meal undisturbed, and still, I might do so, but I need advice. Is there any way I could feed him something that would be more fatty and yet safe for our young friend? I will be gender-checking him soon, but you never know and I need someone to reply quickly. When you pick him up he doesn't struggle, and you can feel ALL of his ribs. I'm afraid his death will be soon if I can't figure this out.
Please help!! :( I don't wish to lose this one. He is such a sweetheart. Thanks!!

There is nothing that is better for him than mother's milk. If you can give him an extra dedicated feeding or two (or three) you may be able to help him to survive.

All the same . . . 0ften when a kit doesn't thrive, there is a good reason for it . . . something wrong that you cannot see. Unless he picks up fairly qiuickly, try, if you can, to detach yourself. Such kits will never become healthy, vigorous rabbits and it is best not to incorporate their genes into your herd. :cry: Sorry, but that's the hard truth as I see it.

Thanks for the info. I will try to keep this in mind if (more like when) we come across this issue again. Sadly, the little 4-week old died either late last night or early this morning. :( Thanks anyway.

Back