Feeding Pusley (Mexican Clover) to my rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamWalk

Reaction score
I am trying to found out if it is okay for my rabbits to eat Florida Pusley also known as Mexican Clover. It grows all over and we feed it to our chickens and they love it.

Since I live in Canada, I do not know this plant, but I can suggest some ways of finding out more about it. First, you need to work with the Latin name, not the common names. This is the only way you can be sure that you and your sources of information are talking about the same species.

I googled Florida Pusley and I found a plant going by that name also has the Latin name Richardia scabra. You will need to look at pictures and descriptions to be sure this is your plant.

This site has mixed reviews about its edibility for humans. Some members of the same family are toxic.
http://www.eattheweeds.com/newsletter-1-october-2013/

Generally speaking, plants that can be used as salad greens for humans are also okay for the buns. But there are exceptions, so please check and double check.

There is some information about the various Richardia species on this site:
http://okeechobee.ifas.ufl.edu/News%20c ... w.weed.htm

Doing google searches for keywords like Florida pusley uses or Florida pusley toxicity rabbits or Florida pusley edible should help you determine if this is something you want to feed to your rabbits.

:clover: :clover: :clover:

I found this bit on http://www.eattheweeds.com/newsletter-1-october-2013/

A third plant that falls into the crack between edible and not edible is Richardia scabra, aka Florida Pusley. It is in a genus that has species used to make you throw up. In fact one is called Richardia emetica. That is not encouraging. Some people mistake R. scabra for chickweed, which is a Stellaria, a totally different genus. The plants vaguely resemble each other if one ignores several details and that fact that real chickweed only grows here in the winter time. R. scabra is a species for which I have never found any ethnobotanical references to regarding edibility. In fact it is one of three common plants that seems to have either not been used by the natives or somehow were not reported. The other two are Amaranthus australis and Hibiscus moscheutos. I know from modern reports that A. australis is edible but as for the H. moscheutos I have no idea though it comes from a very edible genus. Thus R. scabra is not on my site as an edible because I can’t find any historical reference to its use. Yet I know two people who mistook it for chickweed and ate it for quite a while. And I know two people who did not mistake it; they know it is a Richardia and they eat it from time to time. That might be a key element. Without any ethnobotanical reference perhaps a little now and then is okay but a steady diet of it is not. It is one of those unknown things.

Sometimes eating little bits of this or that do not rise to the level of making you ill. I know a person who mistook Oak Leaf Fleabane (Erigeron quercifolius) for for Plantago major and ate some for quite a while without an apparent problem. And I have personally seen someone eat a leaf of Oak Leaf Fleabane against my advice. She was still standing at the end of class. So there are definitely edible plants, and there are definitely non-edible plants. But there can be some fog in between.

Back