Real Flemish Giants??? Please give your opinion

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegMTL

Reaction score
IMG_5165.pngIMG_5152.pngIMG_5147.pngHello, I recently acquired these two "Flemish Giants" they are apparently a week or so apart in age and should be around the 5 - 6 month mark. I had already posted in another discussion board about the colours and varieties as the buck (blackish one) appeared to be a dark steel at the place where I got them but when I got home I noticed the ticking is more brown than grey. I didn't research the FG colours much before going, so I didn't realize the strictness with the colours until afterwards.

I would love to know how close they appear to being true FG from a trained eye.

They look more like New Zealand rabbits. Do not look to have right body structure for pure FGs note weight. How much do they weigh? Should easily be over 15lbs. Thier ears and heads are small and more wedge shaped than FG I've had or seen. Have you looked at the ARBA FG site?

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":3o2cxbuu said:
They look more like New Zealand rabbits. Do not look to have right body structure for pure FGs note weight. How much do they weigh? Should easily be over 15lbs. Thier ears and heads are small and more wedge shaped than FG I've had or seen. Have you looked at the ARBA FG site?

I have but I guess my eye isn't trained enough to really spot the differences? The black one is much heartier than the fawn. He must be close to 12 lbs already. I don't have a scale so it's hard to say. The fawn is definitely smaller.

Look like mixes to me

Try googling "grand champion Flemish giant" to get an idea of the conformation they should have at 6 months/senior weight

I'm with Dood, google. They don't look anything like show or breeding FGs. Weights only small part, even to me it's off. Should be bigger and different body, when I had few they were almost 15lbs at 7 monthe old, friends are bit larger or really close same that works with mostly them PJ'S Rabbit Farm in WV.

Back