Uses for rabbit other than meat...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEP board

Reaction score
Wasn't sure the most appropriate section so I choose this one. As I understand it, the vital organs are great for cats and dogs when feed to them raw. I also see rabbit ears for dog treats as another use. I have two cats and plan on feeding them the vitals when I begin to harvest. I'm curious if cats would like the ears as well to chew on? If anyone has cats and has a use for other parts of the rabbit I'd like to hear them. I believe that one should use as much as possible and waste nothing if possible.

Thank you for suggestions, particularly if they're cat specific.

Sorry to answer a question with a question but... How does one adjust a cat to raw food? I want my kitten to be able to eat rabbit meat because I know it'd be healthier for him.. I also want to feed it to our older cats. But how does one adjust a cat to raw food? and is it safe for my kitten?

Good question about adjusting to raw food. I have a 7 year old and a 1 year old cat. Both are mainly on dry cat food with the 'every so often' soft food treat. However, no lizard is safe if they catch one! My thoughts were that the vital organs would be the occasional treat for them. Whether they'd chew on the ears or not I don't know. I see where folks bake them on low for a couple of hours to sort of dehydrate them and make them crunchy. Dogs seem to go nuts for them but don't know if cats would enjoy them or not.

It's really hard to say but as a general rule if a kitten imprints on kibble and nothing else it will be very hard to get them eating something else.
That said I have known cats who eat people food (like chips and cooked meat) and they are much more willing to try new things. At the vet clinic I even had a cat snatch some of my ferrets raw food when I wasn't looking.
So it depends a lot on the cat. But the easiest way to adjust them is by making a meat soup, the water will lure them in. There's a lot of resources online about switching them over. But if you have an adult cat who just eats kibble, it probably won't recognize raw meat as food. Especially something like liver which has a strong off putting smell to a lot of animals.

Okay, that's a good bit of information, thank you. This will be interesting to see what happens. The adult 7 yr old cat was a rescue at about 2-3 weeks old. We had to bottle feed her for a month before she started on soft food. Also had to wipe her butt to stimulate that process. She's a real people-person cat and loves on everyone that comes to the house. The other one who is barely out of her kitten phase is 1 yr old. She was also a rescue but was maybe around 6 weeks old and separated from the litter at younger than that. It's a bet she's had at least some raw food before we found her. Both will hunt lizards given the opportunity.

Only one way to find out :D

It will be a while though as I'm waiting for a good kindle to raise up to harvest age.

My barn cats will steal the hides when I am processing rabbits, so I am sure they would happily eat the ears if I didn't already feed the heads to the dogs, lol.

When I first started feeding raw meat to our dogs, I had a Jack Russell Terrier that would not eat it. I had to sear the meat slightly to get him to try it, and he still made faces when he got to the raw part. Eventually he came to like it.

Puppies and kittens usually take to raw meat immediately in my experience- and unlike when hand feeding them a piece of kibble or treat, which they usually take very gently, with some of them you are in danger of losing your fingers when offering raw meat... so put it in a bowl if you want to keep all of your fingers! ;)

Well my kitten was found at about 9 weeks on with his mum and siblings on the side of the road. He's had to eat raw meat... He also catches flies and spiders and other various bugs that run away when being squashed by Little Britches a.k.a. Macho Man Randy "Cat"tage... I feel like he'd take to raw meat and that the others would too... Our Siamese Simone watches him alot and has started to play with him on occasion until she goes crazy and tries to corner him and she hisses and growls which is typically when he books it. As for our other two they go out and hunt and kill stuff and eat the guts from it so shouldn't be any problem.. I wish you good luck on getting yours to eat it! Does anyone have a temp that they cook the ears on that works the best? Sorry for asking so many questions on your post! I just saw it and started reading and was like I must know more lol >3<

Latest posts

Back