First watering system- nipple issues

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdventureIQ

Reaction score
So I'm using a couple of 5 gallon buckets, tubing and water nipples to make sure my bunnies have water in their play areas and cages knowing we have a hot summer ahead of us. I bought some water nipples on ebay and using them for the areas. My rabbits have always used the botles with the ball in the spout. Out of 10 rabbits-- none of them have figured out the new set up. I went through and tested each one to make sure it works. After a day I find I have to throw the old bottles back on their cages and play area and they drink like crazy. Has anyone else had issues with the water nipples vs. the ball in stem system?

Attachments

• rabbit nipples.jpg
    rabbit nipples.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 2,761
I put a little piece of straw or a small stick in the waterer for the first couple of days to make it drip.., when a new rabbit comes in ,or when first using a auto system, -- this gives the rabbit the idea that it can get water from that metal thing...

and those kind are not as easy for them to use , and fail more often ,then the kind sold by Bass, or KLub..

Will have to check thos others out…thanks! <br /><br /> -- Thu May 12, 2016 10:03 pm -- <br /><br /> Repoerting back on this--- all rabbits now drinking from the new system I have three buckets that povide redundant systems (two per hutch/area. That way if I have a malfuntion the other is in use. I keep all buckets 3/4 full at all times.

It has saved my a ton of time each evening and as I often teach (survivl and bushcraft) on the weekends in the woods-- I know my stock has water.

Thanks for all the input--- next project is to have more uniform looking hitches

michaels4gardens":3h40jukg said:
I put a little piece of straw or a small stick in the waterer for the first couple of days to make it drip.., when a new rabbit comes in ,or when first using a auto system, -- this gives the rabbit the idea that it can get water from that metal thing...

and those kind are not as easy for them to use , and fail more often ,then the kind sold by Bass, or KLub..

I bought 5 of the 2 liter conversion kits from Bass a few months ago, @ $4 a pop. I've just about given up hoping that my buns would drink from those nipples they have. I'm going to a pet store tomorrow to buy more ball tipped bottles. I can't bear the idea of them dying from thirst. They're advertised as "non-leaking". True. They don't leak. In fact, they stay full for weeks.

I was getting tired of the water bottle route as well. One just continues to leak regardless of anything you do to it. We also have a hot summer coming up so decided, after looking around YT and Ebay to get the nipple system. The one I bought this morning off Ebay is slightly different:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152057053286?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It has a screw on attachment. Guy on YT said it was a bit better because it can be taken apart and cleaned whereas the other type is more difficult. Hopefully the rabbits will adjust quickly. Plan to use something similar for the quail that I bought off Ebay yesterday:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36138154755...49&var=630728896232&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hoping both work better than what I have now. :) <br /><br /> -- Mon May 23, 2016 11:18 am -- <br /><br /> Well I've had this up and running for a few days now and it's working just fine. The rabbits didn't seem to have any difficulty in figuring out how to get water and the quail where standing there watching me put the water cups in their cages and went right to it. :D

Like this quite a bit better than the original water bottles I was using. Curious now to see how long 5 gallons will last. Very pleased with the entire set up.

I'm really liking it. Don't have the leaks to deal with like with the water bottles (for the rabbits). And as far as the quail, there is a LOT less mess in the water. Seemed like I was cleaning the quail bowls multiple times a day. Plus they have more room in the cage without that water bottle in the cage (for the quail).

This is our second year with horizontal nipples for the chickens' water and we are very pleased with it--so much cleaner. Had wondered about it for rabbits but it seems harder to implement with each rabbit in its own cage. (The chickens just have a bucket with 4 nipples and that works fine for them.) Getting water to each rabbit cage from one source seems much harder--especially if they're in a space that is below freezing in the winter. But I've been interested in reading about how it's working (or sometimes not) for others.

I've got them fed from the same 5 gallon bucket. I just ran some 5/16 (inside diameter) tubing from the bucket and have a T splitter for each rabbit cage. So basically the tubing runs in a straight line (slight downward angle) from the bucket and then splits off to each nipple for each cage. I used some wire to fasten it to the PVC which is the frame of my hutch.

Below freezing though could be a challenge. Not something I have to contend with in my neck of the woods. I don't remember the last time it dipped below freezing and even on that rare time it is maybe for a few hours at most.

Back