Big surprise this evening...first kindle!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ABSOLUTELY NOT YOUR FAULT!!!

Some first time does just dont do it right the first time. Its always sad to loose any, even after hundreds of litters.

The good news, you learned more from this litter than you would have from ten litters that went right.

If she were my rabbit I would re breed her right away and have her try again.

My girls get three tries at the mother thing, if they dont get it right by then, they are a dead loss to keep feeding.

GBov":1p7aufwn said:
ABSOLUTELY NOT YOUR FAULT!!!

Some first time does just dont do it right the first time. Its always sad to loose any, even after hundreds of litters.

The good news, you learned more from this litter than you would have from ten litters that went right.

If she were my rabbit I would re breed her right away and have her try again.

My girls get three tries at the mother thing, if they dont get it right by then, they are a dead loss to keep feeding.

Thank you for the encouragement. :)

I rebreed both does and if it took they should have their next kindle around the 10th of June. A neighbor used to breed rabbits and suggested putting in a partition between the cages so none of the rabbits can see each other. She suggested that perhaps it would make them a bit more settled this time around. I figured it was also worth a try. Looking forward to the next kindle and we'll see if they do better.

I dont partition between cages due to reduced air flow but I do try to only put animals in joined cages is they like eachother. If I fine lots of biting and thumping between does I move one out and try another one.

By joined cages I mean they share a side or back, wall.

I had a buck loose all the fur on his nose one time when I moved him in beside a doe whom he really, REALLY, liked so he spent all night trying to shove through the wire to get to her. :lol:

One thing I have been known to do is cover a cage with shade cloth. It lets air through but gives a nervous doe a sheltered feeling.

I had considered air flow, but my hutch is of a PVC design and very open from above and below. I've also ordered several solar powered fans to clip on to the roof to provide additional air flow. If I need to adjust later I will but I think this should work out fine.

Back