Where are my hummingbirds???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knacker

Reaction score
I'm a bit frustrated that my hummingbirds haven't showed up yet even though according to the migration maps they have long passed our place :? The feeders have been up for 2 weeks now and we are diligent on changing "nectar" every 2-5 days depending on temperature.

Anyone else here who puts out feeders and has had this happen? Last year we had up to 7 of these buggers rocketing around. Love the little guys :)

On a good note, we finally are getting our much needed rain :D :D :D

Sure enough a 1/2 hour after creating this post, my wife and I see a female feed. I can breath easy now.

We have fed the birds for years now. This year, we have seen one a week or so ago, and that's it. Very unusual. We even put out the feeders a bit early because of the mild winter and early warming, but no activity.

My husband's grandma feeds them and they were there weeks ago, possibly a month. I planted some flowers to attract them but haven't gotten feeders up.

Well since yesterday we have had (most likely) the same female feeding intermittently. I find it odd too that given the milder winter and warm spring, the hummers arrived later; at least to our place since they were spotted 3 - 4 hours to the NW days earlier. On the other hand, we might have just not seen the occasional feeding.

Besides the feeders we also seed a hummingbird wildflower mix every year along the front of our house. We have native delphiniums (previous owners planted them) that keeps on spreading. Once it blooms the hummers can't get enough of them and it is nice that they are just outside the window from where this computer resides.

We had a mild winter too, but spring has been slow. Started early, but after a warm March, April was colder than normal and stayed that way through the first half of May. So things here have been an odd mix of early and late.

Yeah it was still in the 40s some days a week ago and we had a few frost warnings overnight. Then this 80F stuff just hit over the weekend.

Back