Doe is mounting my buck ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquaman05

Reaction score
Doe is about 9 weeks old buck is about 7, anyone else have this happen ? I was letting them play together had to split them up because she wouldn't get off him!
Thanks for looking

It's a dominance thing. She's telling him she's over him. It's no big deal. Does will do it to other does as well same goes for bucks. :)

Aquaman05":1xc3rp7m said:
Doe is about 9 weeks old buck is about 7, anyone else have this happen ? I was letting them play together had to split them up because she wouldn't get off him!
Thanks for looking

Dominance/pecking order.... but---If the buck's going to be used for a
Breeder..... Isolate him. A young buck is easily intimidated in this fashion
and may well be affected in refusing to breed when he's needed. ALWAYS
use caution when placing a doe in a young bucks' pen... NEVER let the doe
dominate him OR become aggressive. Keep him safe from harm till he's
had a few dozen breeding's under his belt.

Grumpy

If he's going as a pet then it's not such a big deal.

BUT

If he is going into a breeding program he needs to have the confidence to do his job. A sister always whooping him can leave a mental mark.

Personally, I don't let my dogs get away with it, so I don't tolerate it in the rabbitry either. Just my thoughts.

I just had this happen when trying to mate one of my does. Its her first mating, let the buck mount her, he fell off, tried a few more times, then she started mounting him. This doe always thinks she is the boss. She totally terrorized her sister who is a very sweet girl.

Latest posts

Back