Bag balm?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olimpia

Reaction score
My meat doe kindled 11 kits.. 1 has died and 1 is fading and will be gone by morning (I've been trying to help it nurse all day and it just won't).. she only has 4 teats that I can even find after 3 litters, they are quite well developed. But I'm not sure if she will be able to handle the 9 kits, her teats are quite red already and one is bloodied. I worry she will get sick of them because it's too many. I'm not sure if this is normal as I've never payed attention to it. Is there anything I can do for her? Can I rub bag balm on her or will that hurt the babies?

Bloodied is not a good sign, watch heavy for infection. I hate to say it, but if you have no other does to foster to, I would terminate the weaker/runtier ones to give the other ones a fighting chance and less strain on her.

What if you split the nest and give one to feed in the morning and other in the evening?

I do not believe bag balm would harm kits if a small amount was administered right after nursing, so that there is plenty of time for it to be absorbed before the kits try to feed.

Another option would be any other lanolin based salve sold for breastfeeding humans. IMO, the less ingredients, the better. :)

As far as their being too many kits, that is really up to you.
Trust your intuition, and do whatever you feel is best for the doe, since it's possible that no kits would survive at all if her immune system fails.
It sure is a tough decision to make.

Hmm well I've taken away the larger 5 and left the smaller 4 for now. There is one kit who is double the size of all the others. :shock:
I'd rather not kill any of them.. What about feeding the smaller ones some kitten milk replacer, but still leaving them with the mom? They are 5 days old right now. I know people give KMR to abandoned kits..
I'll try to get some bag balm for her belly.

Latest posts

Back