guinea pig birth emergency

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
No one is probably awake anywhere except the pet forums/groups which will insist I am a horrible, evil, unfeeling person if I don't go to the ER vet and spend $1000s. I found Setsu like this when getting everyone ready for bed. She was laying with her head out of the shelter all puffed up and nonresponsive even when I reached out to touch her. I was ready to c section (fatally) but she squeaked with the others when hearing plastic and makes attempts to move away if you set her down. I put her in a small container, which had fabric added since the pics and some blanket over top. The pic of her head is the most responsive she gets.

She seems to be having some contractions and I felt around her abdomen. Aside from the amount she is closing her eyes, fluffing up, and not responding I feel no movement from the pup lumps in her. How I wish I had oxytocin on hand. I gave her some tums but she is too out of it to chew so I syringed 2cc of what would dissolve in water and broke a small enough chunk she wouldn't spit it out so it might at least dissolve in her mouth and be swallowed/absorbed.

I guess there's not really much to do except one decision. At what point would you try to get live pups out or is it fully a lost cause? She's one of my favorites and I lost her sister to birthing complications in her first litter. This one has had several successful litters previously though.

Could you perhaps pull the pup out using two (fully lubricated) fingers? Our just feel it if anything is stuck/in the wrong position and push it back in?

She's pushed out 4 stillborns with placentas and I think is done but she doesn't look good and she won't swallow tums water anymore. I will still probably lose her. I feel bad making her go through labor only to die afterward.

Setsu just died 13 hrs after I found her. I should have gone with instinct and put her down when I found her but I admired the amount of fight in that little guinea pig.

Back