wire floor for French Lops?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dainironfoot

Reaction score
Hi guys! this is my first post on here, I'm getting my first rabbit in a few weeks and have a few questions. He's a french lop and I was wondering what is the best size wire for the floor. Are they too heavy for wire, should it be wood? I was thinking of using 1/2"X1". Also, there will be some exposed wooden parts of the 2X4 hutch that he will be able to chew on, is this a problem? The wood is Douglas Fir and I'm not aware of any toxicity issues but I figured I'd ask the experts! Thanks so much for the help!
-Tony

Tony,
I have NZWs on 1x1/2 wire. My breeding cages are 2'x2'x4' with 3 supports.
032 (500x375).jpg

Bucks are in a 2'x2'x3'
039 (500x375).jpg

The bucks are suspended from the roof.
My critters' weight range are 9lb-12lb.

If any wood is with in range of teeth then it will most likely be chewed. Some rabbits are more aggressive chewers then others though. Plus if the wood is treated or painted it could cause health issues. If the teeth don't get it then their urine will. :x I used pressure treated lumber for my racks for the cages to sit in but the rabbits can't really reach it to chew it. Plus I give them sticks from the yard to keep their mouths busy. :lol: :lol:

Hope this helps,
Cathy

Welcome to the "rabbit hole" dainironfoot.

You can keep French on wire but be sure and keep a resetting board in the hutch with them so they can get off of it if they want to.

Latest posts

Back