Current cage ideas?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
I watch the different posts on set ups, and I know its ever changing and evolving. Anyone able to share what you currently have and how it came about? We are getting into 4-H, so I will need to add californians to our rabbitry and need some new cages, at least 3, to keep them comfortable.....Thanks! Also-anyone who is selling prize winning show bunnies, I am willing to drive and would love to connect with you to see if we can do some business!

For the breeders, I have four all-wire cages 24"W x 36"L x 18"H held up by a wood frame (personal preference, I've found the wood easier to work with than the PVC pipe most people use). The top two cages are for the two does and the bottom two cages are for the two bucks. My grow out "cages" are sort of a cross between hutches and exercise runs (sorry, I'm bad at explaining, I'll try to take some pictures when I go out to clean the cages later) so they have enough room and won't be as likely to fight. Bucks still get separated from does to be on the safe side, though. But they're usually sold before this becomes an issue. Any weanlings I decide to raise for showing (or because they're too cute to part with! :D ) get their own private hutches. There are several exercise runs 7' x 5' and I let the rabbits take turns playing in the runs. Since I don't have a barn, the entire rabbitry area is surrounded by a 5 foot high galvanized wire fence. There's a security light to deter humans and a barn cat to deter rodents. All the cages are homemade from galvanized wire, 1" x 2" for the walls/ceiling and 1/2" x 1/2" for the floor. I got the drop pans from Home Depot -- they were originally sold as dog kennel trays, but my rabbits don't seem to mind. :D

I'm currently renovating the rabbitry area and decreasing my herd size (trying to switch over to having only French Angora rabbits --goodbye Satins :cry: ) but I'll try to get some pictures as soon as the renovations are done.

macksmom98":3ut6wo65 said:
Also-anyone who is selling prize winning show bunnies, I am willing to drive and would love to connect with you to see if we can do some business!
OneAcreFarm may be somewhat near you, and she has show Calis. :)

Latest posts

Back