Confused by Red/Fawn genetics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winterwolf

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, so half the websites I read tell me that red is A_B_C_D_eeww with high rufus, (or A_bbC_D_eeww for chocolate based), Fawn is A_B_C_D_eeww / AbbC_D_eeww without high rufus, and cream is the dilute version A_B_C_ddeeww (or chocolate based A_bbC_ddeeww). But then other websites I read state that Fawn is the dilute version of red: A_ __ C_ dd ee ww. Which is correct? Or is it something else entirely? And if fawn is the dilute version of red, than what is the difference between fawn and cream? :eek:verreaction: And just when I thought I had rabbit genetics figured out. :wall:

It depends on what breed. The names vary from breed to breed. Therefore, what is correct will depend on what breed(s) they are raising.

Yes, it can be incredibility confusing.

:yeahthat:

It is also my understand that "fawn", in most breeds, are not wideband and look agouti with the trademark white bellies and trim but "reds" and "orange" are and look "self" and lack white/cream markings :hmm:

Okay, I'm basically looking for the proper phenotypes for red/fawn colors in Angora rabbits. According to two Angora websites I found, orange is not a recognized color; it's just red, fawn, and cream. But I still can't find any information on the phenotypes for those three colors. Any suggestions?

UPDATE:
Found this on oceansideangoras.com

Reds, fawn and cream are the offshoot of Agoutis. They have the Agouti gene, the Non extension gene, and a W (wideband) gene. They are beautiful when correctly bred. They can all be black, or chocolate based. Typically chocolate based reds are cleaner in color with less smut. Cream is the dilute version. Note: Genetically Red and Fawn are the same in angoras. The difference is the modifiers.

But found this on a different website:

Fawn: A_ B_ C_ D_ ee (A_B_C_ddee in every breed but Hollands)
Cream: A_ B_ C_ dd ee

So, again, they basically contradict each other. I have no idea how to figure out the correct answer. :shock: :x

Attachments

• 3152669_orig.jpg
    3152669_orig.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 553
  • 7550441_orig.jpg
    7550441_orig.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 553
Red wide band more rufus modifiers, Fawn, wideband less rufus modifiers, Cream is dilute, less rufus modifiers. My Cream looks a lot like my blue tort, and I had a really hard time telling them apart because both have the wideband.

Go with the info on the Angora site, because as pointed out, colors don't always match up across breeds. There are even colors that are the same name and completely different genotypes.

Latest posts

Back