Register

runt or peanut

Post your favourite links to useful rabbit websites here.
Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 30,963.00

Re: runt or peanut

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Zass » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:51 am

That was a bit hard to follow.
Are you saying that one of your dogs has a higher-than-expected prey drive and is unsafe to leave alone with rabbits?

I don't think that being able to leave rabbits and dogs alone together is ever something that should be taken for granted. Rabbits are prey animals.
I would guess that most dogs are probably not safe to leave unsupervised with prey animals.

If your rabbits have cages indoors or out, they should be reasonably safe from your dogs with you there. You can train then to ignore the rabbits in your presence, but with many dogs once your back is turned all bets are off.
I suggest never leaving them alone together. If your pitbulls are anything like mine, they can make short work of any cage.

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 46.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby t89inaaaa » Mon May 16, 2016 4:39 am

Yeah dog are dogs but these dogs will never hurt them they will let them jump on them eat wit them and protact them so dont ever think if i did not trust my 4 pit bulls. Why would i even have such prey creatures. Im not dumb when it comes to anmials i know what rabbits r. And i know what dogs r and yes my dog did get him but it was a one time thing watch im ganna post a video or some thing on here to show my dogs and rabbits to gather and he was just a baby that hurt the bunny oh but monster lived u know this is my only 2end time owing rabbits and yes i do put them away when i leave or. Go somewhere. Here is the one that got hurt monster she is fine and her brother running around inthe same room as 2 adult male pits. Dogs i do watch them :pancake: and take care of them they r heath and happy all 4 rabbits and i dont mean to sound rude or anything i apologize and they r in door rabbits and no i dont take my friends for granted t treat them. As my own kids so pleas next time as if they would hut the rabbits insted of assuming. They will ok. Thank you

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,273.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Mon May 16, 2016 10:05 pm

For the sake of the rest of us, please use proper grammar and punctuation when writing paragraphs. Trying to decipher what you've written is trying and you're less likely to get replies back to your posts. Thank you kindly. --ES
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

The following user would like to thank EnglishSpot for this post
macksmom98

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,717.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Prisma » Tue May 17, 2016 10:49 am

If the other dog was present at the time of attack, it is NOT safe to leave them with the rabbits. They were both involved, in all likely hood, whether you want to hear that or not. No matter how trusted the "safe" one is, I wouldn't take any chances especially with babies. Rabbits with babies can become really nasty really quick because they get upset and can even kill the entire litter if really on edge. I do not think any one was meaning you take them for granted, just not seeing the life threatening danger. It doesn't take a blink of an eye for them to be killed. I hope you never have to deal with the after math of a dog that's went crazy, but you are on that edge by allowing them in with them when there's already been an incident (even if its just the one "safe" dog again). I have an aussie I've trained to help me with escapies, I still will never leave her alone with them. She's trust worthy, I trust her every day, but she is a dog not a human. She will act on instinct on her own with no leader, whether that be a good thing or a bad thing its a mute point. She will act on her own accord, could be rip cages open or roll over in the grass to chew on a toy. It will happen to even the BEST dogs. I'm not sure of your age or any thing, but please try not to use short hand for cells here ;) It really is hard to follow and can be frustrating for you when we don't understand what you're asking.

Back to original question, you could have a peanut or a runt...picture of the baby in question close up like the face picture of the rabbit would be useful. If it has pinched legs and an alien like head, then it is a peanut. Any thing else, pretty safe to assume it is a runt. That does not mean it will live, it just means it isn't the same as a peanut (got 2 dwarfing genes instead of 1).
Rabbitry is changing in 2016.

Glenville, West Virginia

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,810.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby macksmom98 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:18 am

This is a site to get some good advice. You can always choose to do things your own way, but be prepared for a good or bad outcome. The people that generally comment and do give advice here do so out of many years of experience and having made their own mistakes. I try to be open to the suggestions I am given when I post a question on here, and I believe I have really benefited when I have listened to their responses.

I have friends who do things differently than I do now, and sometimes they do not follow my advice. There are several factors involved, including good genetics, but I have significantly less losses than they do. I really attribute a good portion of this to what I have learned, and its largely been on this forum.

And as far as dogs go, I agree that they should never be left alone with rabbits and the same goes for chickens. They can never 100% be trusted. We love our dogs and in many cases they may eat or live better than some family members (well maybe not really but you get the point :roll: ). It may be difficult to think that they could ever do something to a rabbit, and it is possible you will never have a problem. But keeping them separated will guarantee a better outcome for sure:)

Previous