Latest breedings have issues.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Molly is my matriarch doe. I also have 2 of her daughters, Anabel, and Ryleigh, who were litter mates from Molly's 1st litter of 9. Last month I bred all 3 on the same day to Charlie, who is also from Molly's 1st litter. Of the 3 breedings, Molly and Ryleigh both had multiple falloffs very quickly. So, I was confident they would kindle. The 3rd doe, Anabel, adamantly refused the buck for over half an hour. So I tried again the next day. Same refusal.
Now move forward a month. Molly kindled right on time Friday, and had 8, of which 6 survived. Not her best, but ok.
Ryleigh kindled Saturday. I had gone out to check on her Saturday afternoon and found her eating a rather small kit on the wire. I assumed from its size that it was malformed. I also saw some blood spotting on the edge of the nestbox. So I checked the box and found nothing. About then, Ryleigh moved and then I saw that there were 4 more kits under her, on the wire. 3 were dead. I took the last one, which was still alive, and put it in with Molly since I didn't think it would survive alone. Several hours later, I went back to check on them and found more kits in Ryleighs cage, all on the wire. Most were dead, but I did find 3 still moving. So, I put those in her nestbox and crossed my fingers that she would care for them. I figured that was all and went back inside. This morning I found a total of 9 dead kits spread all over her cage, and one more outside the cage. The 3 that I had put in her nestbox yesterday are now all covered in fur. So, she seems to be caring for those 3. In total, Ryleigh kindled 14, mostly on the wire. I've removed the dead ones.
Last of all, I found that Anabel, the one that adamantly refused the buck, gave birth last night to 12 healthy kits. Two or three of them are a bit smaller than the rest, but they all seemed fed. Anabel was not especially pleased with me messing in her nest. She's a good, protective mother.
Ryleigh is the one that I have questions about. This is her 3rd litter. The entire 1st litter of 12 kits was on the wire, in December, and all died. She raised 5 from her 2nd litter, which had a total of 13 kindled, all in the nestbox. Now, I was expecting that she had matured in her mothering and things would get better. But, out of 14, all kindled on the wire, only 4 survived. The 1st failure I forgave since she was inexperienced. The second litters problems may have been my mistake since I hadn't actually pulled her kits out at birth to determine mortality. It is quite possible that there were only a couple dead but being left in the nest may have killed the others. But, I am bewildered why she kindled on the wire this time. Especially since she does seem to be caring for the ones that I took from the cage bottom and laid in her nestbox. She does understand the box, she used it last time.
So, out of a total of 34 kits born this weekend, I have 22 still alive. I expect some mortalities. But, this is a bit more than I'm comfortable with. Ryleigh is the main trouble spot apparently. But, given her very large litters I don't want to give up on her yet. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

I guess I kinda expected that answer. I had repeated issues with Molly early on, and almost culled her. She absolutely refused to be bred and would get pretty nasty both with the buck and me. I got a lot of scratches on my arms with repeated breeding attempts. At the last minute, I decided to give her one more shot. She came through and hasn't been any more problem. In fact, she's become one of my sweetest temperament-ed buns. I'm thinking on letting Ryleigh raise what she has, and give her one last opportunity to get it right. If she fails again, I'm hoping one of her current litter could replace her with similar litter sizes. I hate to lose that fertility. I was surprised that both of Molly's daughters have larger litters than she has had. I'd like to hold onto that and hopefully improve it. Maybe I'm making a mistake. Hopefully not. But, I gotta admit that I have learned from reading many of your posts that you've got a good handle on raising decent stock. And I appreciate your input Dood.

alforddm":1f7r4ugv said:
It doesn't matter how big the litter is if they don't raise them. IMO it's better to have a doe have 7 and raise them all than 11 and raise 4.

I agree completely. That's why I want her to raise the few she has. I will reserve one doeling from her litter to replace her if she does that poorly again. It is entirely possible that the replacement will be as bad as she. It's also entirely possible it won't. I'm making the last ditch effort to preserve her tendency towards large litters, if at all possible. I'm hoping that tendency will pass without also passing the poor mothering. She does have a few left. And my other 2 does already have decent sized litters. I don't want overload the other 2 now. So, she has to at least raise what she has.

In case i missed something

rayleigh made a mess of this litter but has been successful in the past? raising all her kits?

Molly gave you trouble in the past but is good to go now?

Anabel seemed to refuse to breed, but kindled a bunch with three weak ones.

I would count this as a strike but give her another go. Sometimes does make a mess of a litter. Once is okay, but the second time around I'd be looking at her really hard.

I'd also be pulling the weak ones off Anabel and be giving them to ryleigh

Latest posts

Back