refrigerator eggs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Just thought I would share this tidbit of tested - by me :D - information.

I saw a program a loooooong time ago that said you can take fertile eggs from the fridge and hatch them. So I tried it this spring and yep, you CAN take eggs straight form the fridge, let them warm up and pop them into an incubator adn they will hatch!

Out of 22 eggs set I got 13 chicks. The low hatch rate was a combo of my incubator having humidity issues at the end of hatch adn too many hens per roo I think, but the cold might also have reduced the numbers.

Just thought I would pass this along! :D

Zass":2q2ba855 said:
I wonder if quail eggs work too?

I dont know but with their small size they might dry out. It might work though if they are only in a few days?

I've been told Trader Joe eyes are fresh enough for hatching, but I don't live anywhere near one. I doubt Walmart eggs will hatch :)

Hatch rate is higher for the first few weeks by not putting them in the fridge. If it's going to a long period of time though you can get some to still hatch by storing them that way. To keep them from drying out some people put them in wet sand but it is not proven. There should be a Mother Earth News article that tested some various methods of storage.

Stephanie":aak5sn2h said:
How long had they been refrigerated? This could be a great way to stall hatching for a better balance of fresh meat.

Anywhere from a day to 10 days. I just picked all the best color of eggs and popped them into the 'bator.

If one was REALLY energetic you could do trials and take records and all sorts of things but for me, it was enough that they hatched. :lol:

Back