Doe having birth trouble

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbower00

Reaction score
My doe has had 2 litters so far (one this past fall and one yesterday). The first litter she had trouble with birth and had 1 stillborn and 4 healthy babies. The nestbox was covered in blood but I cleaned it out and the 4 babies survived. Yesterday she had 6, 4 stillborns and 2 healthy. The 4 stillborns and 1 of the surviving ones were in the front of the box. The living one was covered in blood, struggling but alive. I found the other living one back in her nest, super healthy and clean. I ended up fostering the 2 with one of my other does, just in case the one struggling dies. Why does she keep having bloody stillborn? Is it safe to rebreed her?

First, check the doe for pinched hips. Hold her on her back and check the position of her hocks. If they angle inward toward the tail that is an indication of pinched hips. If you need help deciding, you can post pictures of the doe. Pinched hips is a risk factor for birthing difficulties.

If she doesn't have pinched hips, you may try breeding her to a different buck. Sometimes certain, bucks do not mesh well with a certain doe for whatever reason.

Thank you!! I will check her hips. It's not the buck since both litters have been from different bucks. We were planning on rebreeding her sometime next week after she recovers, is that safe or fair for her? Thanks again!

If she were my rabbit, I doubt I would rebreed her. Something is causing her birthing difficulties and I wouldn't want that passed down to any offspring. What breed is she? Are birthing difficulties common in her breed? Do you have other does that do not have this problem?

There are alot of things to consider.

She is a mini lop. I don't think I'm going to rebreed her, I'm just confused as to what's happening. I kept one of her daughters from her first litter. Her daughter had 7 babies this morning, 6 healthy and 1 stillborn. Not sure if the same thing will happen in her next litter. Thanks for all of your help, I appreciate it!!

I just reread your post and realize the two litters were a pretty far apart. It's possible that internal fat is part of the problem. A rabbit can have alot of internal fat even if they don't appear really overweight. In this situation I might also give her condition a good going over. If she appears even slightly overweight, a diet may help resolve the problem.

I'd bet it has more to do with a year in between litters, that's an awful long time. Breeding even twice a year still leaves a big gap. I'd think about rebreeding immediately to see if it happens again, if not then you've found your problem. If it does, then I would retire as a pet or other depending on what you do with them.

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":3r5wby3g said:
I'd bet it has more to do with a year in between litters, that's an awful long time. Breeding even twice a year still leaves a big gap. I'd think about rebreeding immediately to see if it happens again, if not then you've found your problem. If it does, then I would retire as a pet or other depending on what you do with them.

Thank you!! It was about a 6 month gap between breeding. I am planning to rebreed her next week, to see if that is the issue. Thanks!!

I disagree that the long interval between litters is the cause.

Fat usually reduces fertility but she has litters of 5 and 6

The large amount of blood leads me to believe it is a pelvis/pinched hip issue and I would not re-breed her

Back