Breeding age

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Girl

Reaction score
How old do the does have to be before you can breed them? Isn't it 5? I'm thinking for the smaller breeds.

I have my younger doe and she is about 4 1/2 months now, I was hoping I could breed her before the hot weather comes.
Thanks in advance,
Farm Girl

basically, you should probably wait until they reach the minimum senior weight for the breed.

The arba breed links often go to breed clubs which don't always have the standard on their website. It's rather annoying that they can't just provide basic info. You can purchase a standard of perfection from them to get that information or there are a few resources online. Wikipedia actually has a very comprehensive list of rabbit breeds with adult weights and many of them linking to dedicated articles which will break down the weight classes. It's more useful to me than the arba site. Otherwise I just google the breed and find articles on them or clubs that do list the SOP in detail.

what breed is your doe? I have the older standard of prefection but it still has maxium weight information.

She is a Dutch.
I'll try looking around on the internet. :)<br /><br />__________ Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:21 pm __________<br /><br />A hah, I found it on the ADRC.
The senior (over 6 months) weight should be between 3 1/2 lbs to 5 1/2 lbs.

I'll have to weigh her tomorrow.

Back