Silver Fox Breeding Trio

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azorean Steve

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
i'd like to introduce myself. My name is Steve and i live in Massachusetts. Growing up my dad raised meat rabbits and now i would like to keep that tradition going. One of the last conversations i had with my dad was about me wanting to raise some rabbits for the table. But unfortunately he passed away a November 2015.
So now the time has come that the breeder of Silver Fox rabbits called me saying that he now has a trio ready for me this weekend. They have been weaned off their mothers and have been eating on their own. The feed 7 grain store carries BlueSeal brand.
should i be feeding them Bunny 16 or something with more protein like 17 or 18%.

Welcome to RabbitTalk!

It's always best to continue feeding the same food that the breeder has been giving them. Then you can slowly switch them over to the food you want them to be on. Rabbits have delicate digestive systems, so you don't want to upset their diet too abruptly. It also helps make the transition from one home to another easier on the rabbit. I feed my own rabbits 16% pellets and keep their hayfeeders filled with Timothy hay, and that works quite well for them. Of course, they still get the occasional treats like fresh veggies, grass, alfalfa cookies, etc.

I wish you lots of luck and happiness in your rabbit raising endeavor. Rabbits are well worth the effort! :bunnyhop:

thank you! when i pick them up this weekend i will ask the breeder which feed he's been using so i can continue with the same.
awesome! thanks again! <br /><br /> __________ Wed May 11, 2016 7:40 am __________ <br /><br /> well, here they are!
the 2 girls are 6 weeks and the lil buck is almost 4 weeks old.

Attachments

• SFD.jpg
    SFD.jpg
    833.7 KB · Views: 1,634
  • SFB.jpg
    SFB.jpg
    759.5 KB · Views: 1,634
As far as what I was told by the breeder. He looked up their DOB's. I questioned if the buck was too young to be away from its mother but he had said that he and his brother have been eating on their own. I picked up some calf manna, but have not given them any yet.

Not quite 4 weeks old is an unacceptable age for sale to most breeders and buyers.

Even where it is legal, I would have refused to purchase until at least 6 weeks.

Kits start eating solid feeds even before their eyes open. It's true that they can be safely weaned at 4 weeks, but, that doesn't mean that it's best to re-home them at that time.
The main reason being that a poor reaction at that age is very likely to kill them.
Something as simple as diahrea caused by a feed change can mean death to a baby rabbit.

Please be take extra care in regards to exposing him to stress, bacteria, and new feeds. Hay, oats, and whatever the breeder was already feeding would be the safest things for him to eat. If you do notice diahrea or poorly formed feces, there are a few specific greens that may help. My favorites being blackberry, raspberry, rose, or strawberry leaves, and plantain leaves, since those pants are more likely to cure diahrea than cause it.

I wonder... :hmm:
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I have a litter of silver foxes that are 11 weeks old. That second one looks like it's not much smaller. (Or younger?)
Congratulations on your beautiful bunnies!

Thank you for the responses!
I was a lil concerned myself.
As for the feed, they are being fed the same exact feed as they were getting at the breeders. I even made sure to buy the exact same type of water bottle....
He seems to be doing fine (I hope). Eating and drinking well. Should I supplement with some Calf Manna?

Hi! Beautiful bunnies!

I bought two rabbits at 4 weeks and had no problems. I wouldn't advise it but I had no choice and it ended up being fine. I just fed them plain hay for the first day and then added pellets in, they had unlimited hay as well. I watched them closely and at any sign of soft poo I removed pellets and gave just hay for a day, then added pellets slowly back in. They had no veggies for the first few days, after that they got some but only a tiny piece. I am not experienced with calf manna, but I'm sure another member can help.

Have fun with your new little cuties!

Congratulations on your trio!!! What an amazing way to have a connection to your dad even if he is no longer with you. Beautiful!

I've had some SF kits with absolutely startling growth, the doeling's size and overall look reminds me of that line. Very nice :)

I also would advise staying away from the calf manna, until all the buns are at least a month older.

I'll definitely hold off on the calf manna. Thank you!

I'm expecting my 2 does to be very large. Their mom weighed in at 13 lbs. The mom of the buck was not much smaller.

Zass":3435m1oz said:
I've had some SF kits with absolutely startling growth, the doeling's size and overall look reminds me of that line. Very nice :)
I also would advise staying away from the calf manna, until all the buns are at least a month older.
Azorean Steve":3435m1oz said:
I'll definitely hold off on the calf manna. Thank you!
I'm expecting my 2 does to be very large. Their mom weighed in at 13 lbs. The mom of the buck was not much smaller.

Wow! :lol: My largest SF doe is just under ten pounds. I guess that's on the small side, but they make up for it in temperament... Very laid back.
Good luck with your buns! :bunnyhop:

Back