What to breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar

Reaction score
So I am planing on breeding holland lops. If I can't find a orange rabbit what colors could I breed together to get orange babies?

Dang it I found a person getting rid of a Blue Tort holland :? I would get him but I want orange not diluted. :evil:

Could still work if you breed the blue tort to a black or chocolate based agouti. Since the dilute gene is recessive, the babies could turn out orange but carry a "hidden" dilute gene. But you'd run the chance of ending up with smutty oranges, dilute oranges, and completely non-orange rabbits as well.

No. Tri is a broken harlequin. The minimum genotype for a tri is C_ej_Enen. It is not impossible to get one from broken black x broken orange but the black would have to be something unusual like aaEejEnen (i.e. broken black carrying harlequin).

To make tri from scratch at the first generation you could cross a harlequin (for the C and the ej) to a broken orange (for the En and an e that lets the ej show). If you want nicely marked tris it may be easier to just get some rather than try to recreate the colour from scratch.

Ok, before that I was kind of wondering how I would get that. I'm not the fondest of tri anyways. What are your favorite rabbit colors? Can I breed for a Magpie holland, what colors

Back