Leading them to water and getting them to drink.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karebru

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Dealing with multiple water bottles has gotten very tedious. Just one of those things you come to dread having to do every day. We're going away for a week next month and I'm going to ask my brother to take care of things while we're gone. (Rabbits, Chickens, Aquariums... the cat that won't die... The beagles go with us.) I want to make it as painless as possible, so I ordered these nipples from Bass...
http://www.bassequipment.com/foundation ... ?params=DD^Bass_Drip_Proof_Valve
I hope to rig up a simple gravity feed system and have it running before we leave. Once my cages are located in a permanent shed, I can fine tune the setup.
My biggest concern is getting the rabbits to use the nipples.
Any suggestions?
As always, THANKS!

Thanks, Oscar.
Mine all do fine with the bottles too. It's what they're used to, and I guess the kits learn from watching Mama. Once I get my automatic system put together, I'll need to convince them all that this new and different thing in their cages is where their water comes from now. ;)

My watering system has a different end-piece (http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-NIPPLE-WATERER-DRINKERS-WATER-RABBIT-GUINEA-PIG-FERRET-RAT-MOUSE-FEEDER-/141275480196?hash=item20e4acc084:g:9LEAAOxyOalTZBqw). It has a bit of a ledge under the stem.

I tapped the stem so that there was a bit of water sitting on the ledge. I showed the water to the rabbits the next couple of times I saw them. After about 12 hours, I'd seen all of them drink from the waterers.

I don't know if there's a way to do something similar with the waterer you got, but it's worth a try.

Thanks! That's a thought. I might be able to fasten some plastic Coke bottle caps to them somehow to hold a little water temporarily.
I also saw something in another post about sticking a little something in the valve to make it drip a little, so they see it.
We'll see what happens... ;) <br /><br /> __________ Mon May 16, 2016 8:15 pm __________ <br /><br />
Oscar":iwxc0743 said:
My rabbit hadn't drank out of a water bottle and he got the hang of it no problem.
You were right, Oscar. As far as I can tell, all 12 got it. No problem. :-D

Latest posts

Back