Quarantine?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar

Reaction score
So I have found someone near me that sells holland lops so I thought I would switch from minis into Hollands. So I already have one rabbit, and if I got multiple rabbits from the breeder should I quarantine them from him or him from them for a month since there would be more of them than him?

Quarentine them from him - meaning apart from keeping them seperated (doesn't matter where you keep whom until something breaks out, then you need to sterilize the area where the new bunnys were) do the chores first at him, then the other rabbits. You know your rabbit isn't sick but you do know that about the others, so you don't want to carry any possible germs from them to him.

Preitler":p91e9op9 said:
Quarentine them from him - meaning apart from keeping them seperated (doesn't matter where you keep whom until something breaks out, then you need to sterilize the area where the new bunnys were) do the chores first at him, then the other rabbits. You know your rabbit isn't sick but you do know that about the others, so you don't want to carry any possible germs from them to him.

Actually you want to do any quarantined stock last, that way you aren't dragging whatever is in quarantine out to the others. If you feed q stock first, if any thing is there, it can be transported back to the others on you, your shoes, your cloths even. Once done with q stock, clean up. Wash hands, change cloths, even disinfect/wash shoes.

Separate cages in another area yes. You can keep the ones from the same area in one area, but house them in individual cages. Most do not get along, plus if one breaks out with some thing and you have to terminate them you don't want to have to terminate whoever is also in that cage.

I am planing on building my rabbitry on the other side of the yard, the quarantine cages would be in the garden and the rabbitry near the chicken coops. Would having my rabbits even a few feet from my chickens be bad or no. Bad I mean like spread diseases or catch diseases.

Back