Apparently I'm a horrible person.. plus 1 question...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my family knows what I do. None of them will eat the rabbit. Recently my mother has become adamant that we all start gardening and learn to can. The food situation is becoming scary, the stuff sold in stores is barely edible, and deficient in nutrients. I've enlarged the garden this year, because they no longer think I'm crazy. I will learn to can. I need to get some chickens. and I bet, very soon, they will start asking for meat.

Schipperkesue":12u7sa5c said:
With great pride I showed my brother pictures the chickens I raised and had processed. They were professionally packaged and in my eyes something I was extremely proud of. His reaction was so upsetting. Disgust, annoyance and no understanding of why I was so proud. It cut me to the quick. He eats chicken, for goodness sake.

I raised the Christmas turkey one year ( my first raised meat infact) and made the mistake of telling my then sister in law that the turkeys were really enjoying the summer weather. She actually YELLED "OMG that makes it WORSE!" :shock: It turns out that in her mind eating meat from an animal who's life is a misery is better because its a mercy to kill it.

You just cant fix that kind of thinking so I stopped trying to at that point.

Here are the facts that we discuss all the time on my forum: less than 10% of people are prepared for any type of emergency situation. This includes self reliant skills such as gardening, canning, hunting, trapping or raising your own meat. These are skills that many of our grandparents had as SOP but were lost in later generations. Apparently some people think that chicken breast grows on trees in styrofoam and plastic wrap. They'll consume meat from what is essentially an unknown source of questionable nutritional value while reviling home grown rabbit, chicken, quail or whatever. This is simply because of their lack of exposure in the skill set.

Educate the one's that are willing to be educated and simply don't worry about the one's that wish to remain ignorant.

In this day and age it is simply prudent to have a preparedness plan in place that includes as many self reliant skills as possible. Gardens and raising your own meat is a sustainable and renewable food source. That's a wise move. I'm big into making my own tinctures, ointments and such as well as essential oils. Some folks have scoffed at essential oils for example...until it's helped them in some area. Then they 'get it'.

Latest posts

Back