Chestnut Agouti x Tort ???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winterwolf

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm just getting started with my French Angora breeding program and have a question about color genetics.

I have a very beautiful chestnut Agouti buck whose genetic code is (as far as I know): AaBbC?D?Ee and he's definitely carrying a wideband gene. He possibly has a dilute gene in the D locus as well from his mother, but I don't know for sure.

So, is it okay to breed him to my Black Tort doe? And what colors would that combination be likely to cause?

Thanks everyone!

You should get 25% chestnut 25% red 25% black and 25% tort. Some of these may be dilute or chocolate if both the buck and doe carry those. Other, colors such as REW maybe possible as well.

Someone more familiar with Angoras will have to answer if such a cross is acceptable within the breed.

Let me know what you get.

I have an Opal doe who carries non extension, and my Black herd sire does as well. It's an acceptable cross, and you can get Fawns. With the wideband, my Cream was really hard to tell from the Torts, and the torts don't carry much color neither do any of the agoutis have good rufus, so keep that in mind.

Latest posts

Back