Didnt know where to post it.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfoot_158

Reaction score
As you all know I have the first littler of babies. At what age can we start handling them to tame them? :D

Handle from birth as well, but I do not tolerate aggressive does or nervous nellies. If your doe is a nervous one or aggressive towards you (and I mean truly aggressive, bites/lunges/hates you) then its a bad idea to handle until least 2 or 3 weeks old, then you may have some screamers. They don't know what a human is, assume you are a predator going to eat them, so scream until they calm down.

I have been checking the nest twice a day just to make sure everyone is alive and well. My check also includes checking for wetness. I should worded it differently. How about playing with them instead. And what is too much handling?

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":edtox8hi said:
Handle from birth as well, but I do not tolerate aggressive does or nervous nellies. If your doe is a nervous one or aggressive towards you (and I mean truly aggressive, bites/lunges/hates you) then its a bad idea to handle until least 2 or 3 weeks old, then you may have some screamers. They don't know what a human is, assume you are a predator going to eat them, so scream until they calm down.

LOL I am going to eat them....

Baby rabbits only feed once or twice a day, so basically, you can have the nest away from mom for hours. You don't have to worry about keeping them awake too long, as they will pass out in your hands when they are tired.

The two largest issues with kit handling seem to be :

1, Warmth. Don't let those little cuties get too chilled.
2, Bacteria. Not so much with your own family, but unfamiliar children should definitely wash their hands. My theory is that baby rabbits probably share some immunity to common bacteria from their mothers, but their immune systems may not yet be developed enough to handle new strains that their dam isn't already resistant to.

Thanks Zass. I guess a hour or two a day is a good start and not too much. And yes it just my family no other out side people will be playing until weaned. :D

I handle mine from birth, but still try to keep it to a minimum until they grow some fur. They're a lot of fun at 2-4 weeks, when they're still small and sleepy.

This Friday they are two weeks old. Mom has done a great job raising 8 of the little buggers. :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Back