Homemade Rabbit Treat Recipes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lain

Reaction score
I really hope this isn't already a thing. :/ I haven't been able to find it anyway.

I really just wanted to add a thread where everyone can put their favorite Rabbit Treat/Food Recipes. Kind of a collaborative type thing? <3

There seems to be very few online- but I will start with the one I found- I haven't tried it yet, perhaps I will after Easter dinner is cooked so Odysseus has some noms too

Bunny Biscuits
You will need:
1 small carrot, pureed
1/2 banana, mashed until really creamy
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup rabbit pellets, ground finely in a coffee grinder
1/4 cup whole wheat flour

Mix pureed carrot, banana and honey in a medium bowl. Add pellet powder and whole wheat flour. Mix until blended. Knead in your hands for 1-2 minutes. Roll out the "dough" in 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick layers between sheets of plastic wrap. Cut into small cookies (about 3/4 inch across). Place cut shapes onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes (check to make sure they are not browning too much). Turn off the heat and let the cookies sit in the warm oven for an hour or so.

@Lain:
Thanks Lain! This was a great idea! I try making bunny treats all the time but like i said they never work:( Although i have made 1 that my buns like quite a lot!:
Tomato Cubes
to make 5 cubes:
5 cherry tomatoes or 1 1/2 tomatoes
Cold water

Get the juice and seeds from the tomatoes. Put the juice and seeds into ice cubes trays. Add cold water to the cubes. Freeze for 24 hours.

My rabbit Olaf loved these!

There is always some dusted, crumbled pellets at the bottom of the bag, I mix that with water, oatmeal and some sugar, put it about 5mm thick on tinfoil and dry it over the oven.

@Preitler:
Yeah, i always get dusty crumbles at the bottom. I kinda of do the same thing, except i mix it with just water and freeze it:( havent gotten permission to feed it to my buns though:(

Oh! Those are both fantastic ideas! Especially with summer coming!! :)

I have a great recipe for small animal treats that include Alfalfa cubes, that could easily be replaced by timothy cubes I am sure... and I don't remember the rest. it's been years since I made it for my rats, who Loved them!!
<br /><br /> __________ Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:41 pm __________ <br /><br />
Preitler":2xvbvfpz said:
There is always some dusted, crumbled pellets at the bottom of the bag, I mix that with water, oatmeal and some sugar, put it about 5mm thick on tinfoil and dry it over the oven.

I totally missed this before! This is a great idea too! How much sugar do you add?

Great! I will have to try these! Oddyseus really enjoys oats, its the only treat he seems to enjoy. So I will certainly give this a shot! :D Thanks for adding a recipe! Sorry again I missed it before

I would say as a treat, they are high in fat. Fresh is fine as long as they didn't go bad but dried would be good too. :)

I know they are good for you, since they are high in magnesium, a great natural way to raise yours ;)

Thanks Lain! <br /><br /> __________ Wed May 04, 2016 11:12 am __________ <br /><br /> Any new rabbit treat ideas? I have been scrolling Pinterest for a while looking for good ideas, but they all involve banana. I have a fruit problem. I wont touch, go near, or eat it. So I'm looking for a banana-free recipe! Any good recipes that dont involve banana?

Olafthebunny,

Here's a really simple recipe that doesn't include any fresh fruit. (Just applesauce.) I found this one on a different rabbit raiser's forum.

1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup ground pellets (or pellet dust from the bottom of the bag)
1/4 cup hay fines (again, what's left at the bottom of the bag)
1/4 cup ground oats

Combine dry ingredients in blender. Pour into bowl and mix in applesauce until mixture is fairly thick. Roll mixture into a 1/4" thick layer. Rub on some extra pellet powder to absorb the excess moisture. Place on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes, then turn over and bake for thirty more minutes. Turn off oven and let treat cool inside oven. Break into bite-sized pieces and store in fridge (or freezer) until needed.

Thanks WinterWolf! <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:00 am __________ <br /><br /> I've got some new and yummy recipes!

Olaf's new favorite treats are my homemade Bun Bun snacks :D . Here's two great recipes i found on Pinterest and my boy loves!

Bun Bun snacks ( Carrot oat balls)

Ingredients: ( don't worry I look up all the ingredients!)
Carrot puree or baby food, for baby food 2 small jars.
Old fashioned oats or just oats for rabbits.
A little water if needed.

Preheat oven to 350. Mix carrot baby food for puree with oats. Mix until sticky. Add a little bit of water if needed.
Make tbs balls of the mix and put on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-22 minutes. Then cut into smaller bites.
Hope your bunny enjoys these!

Bunny Bark ( or Mint Bark)

Ingredients ( Don't feed these to nursing does, it'll dry up their milk)

1 tbs dried mint.
1/2 cup of chopped parsley.
1/2 cup of ground pellets or feed.
1/2 cup of water.

Preheat oven to 300. Mix ingredients together ( not the water). Add water. Mix until sticky. Roll out on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. When baked chip bark into pieces.

I hope your rabbits enjoy these treats! Sorry for the long post!

Back