Those who transport with pickup trucks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDMIST

Reaction score
Hello all, We are getting into showing rabbits and had a question. We live in Central PA and would be traveling to the near states no more than 3 hours in one directions. I have two trucks and one has a tonneau cover. Is this sufficient to transport animals in their carriers? OR do I need to purchase a truck cap? I was concerned over the heat and ventilation. The cover is a soft top not hard.
Tahnks

A picky question, but what color is the cover? I think black on a hot day might be a bit too much radiant heat from the top, especially if it's well-sealed from wind. Lighter would be better.

I'd be interested in how much air circulates inside the bed. I wonder if maybe a video recorder secured inside with some loose, dusty hay and a test drive at highway speeds might offer some insight there. Can the cover be undone near the cab, like one or two snaps to let a little air in?

If the cages are secured with a load bar, going without the tailgate or replacing the gate with a Pro-Net type closure might increase air circulation while keeping the rain off of them.

Big ice bottles, secured so they don't roll around the cage would be a must. I would try a shorter test drive somewhere in the heat with one or two rabbits. You'll know in 30 minutes or so if the heat, wind, motion, etc are stressing the rabbit. Keep an outdoor thermometer back there and check it after you drive somewhere to know how hot it is at highway speeds.

Thanks!
The cover is black. but it does have snaps and was thinking the same with undoing some at the cab. I really do not want to spend $1400 on a cap if its not needed. My daughter plans on showing only 4 or 5 rabbits so maybe I am crazy can not justify spending the money IF its not needed.

I have a battery camping fan that moves some good air I was going to put back there. I was honestly going to sit in the back in the sun with the gate closed and judge the temp, but again I am not wearing a fur jacket.

If any one has experience with these covers please let me know. What does everyone use that has trucks?

__________ Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:12 pm __________

any other suggestions from those who have trucks? <br /><br /> __________ Mon May 02, 2016 11:30 am __________ <br /><br /> Anyone else use their trucks to move rabbits that can lend some help?

Have one on our truck. Rabbits do just fine travelling under it. Good while not so good if setting in traffic.

Latest posts

Back