Radishes!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We were out of town for 9 days and came home to knee high grass and an impressive garden! I actually mowed in the dark from about 9 - 10:30 since we were due for a couple more days of rain and I could already hear the thunder in the background... then funeral stuff (loss of a family member while we were gone, uexpectedly :cry: )... so yeah, late night mowing. We'll see what it looks like in daylight :lol:

Anyway, I was afraid the compost we got to fill my beds wasn't very good b/c the garden wasn't doing much, but I guess it just needed a bit deeper of a soak! (It has rained quite a bit this past week) My beets, swiss chard, lettuce and kale are quite impressive and the radishes are poking their shoulders out of the ground! (will beets be visible, or how do I know when they are ready? I have never grown them before) I picked the two bigger ones - aren't they pretty?? I am a bit bummed though, they were supposed to be a mild variety but they pack some heat! Not sure what I will do with them. What are options for the tops??

I am beyond excited at how the garden is doing this year - already it's more success than I usually have! Whoo hoo!

The young radish greens may be enjoyed by rabbits and guinea pigs. The older greens didn't go over well here. I let my radishes go too long last year. We saw radish greens popping up with these rainstorms and I thought I missed some but I just went to pull some greens and got tiny little radishes. I guess they went to seed. The guinea pigs are not unhappy about this. There isn't a huge amount of forages available yet because we dropped back down into 40s and near freezing nights.

Akane is right. Rabbits love the tops! I grow them all summer long lust for the buns. A lot of the radish itself gets tossed out. A guy can only eat so many radishes and I like them. :eek:

Try "braised radishes". It takes a lot of the heat out of them when cooked.

If you can find Pink Beauty they are very mild. http://www.rareseeds.com/pink-beauty-radish/ has seed.

We also feed the tops all summer. And our rabbits like the roots too--they get any that are split from too much rain or that got a little old and woody. When they are in the forage mix, they are always eaten even if some other things are left.
Congratulations on the great garden start. Things are slow here--just stays very cool and has been dry but had rain yesterday and again today--a good soak :) And some people complain about it, don't seem to notice how fast things are greening up with it, just want "perfect" weather--perfect for what?

I wasn't sure if I could grown them all summer or not - I guess it's worth a shot! I sewed out another batch before we left, maybe with more water, and picked a little sooner, they won't be quite so spicy. It was crazy how long it took for the burn to set in, too! I was just munching away, it took until the third slice for it to hit :lol: . I do want to work on my tolerance level for heat - I'm even going to grow a few jalapenos (although I admit most of them will go toward pepper jelly... I am totally addicted to it! My dad gave me a jar and I didn't share much of it at all :oops: ). I grew up in AZ, not sure how I ended up being such a wuss :lol: My dad and brother eat all kinds of spicy stuff, no problem.

I am allergic to pepper. Nothing to be done about it. My mouth burns and goes numb. Although it's not just hot pepper. Black pepper is one of the worst and I just have to live with it because everyone uses some pepper. It bothers me just to get one of those plastic packs of silverware and napkin with a little pepper packet in it. I can smell it on the napkin. Cayenne pepper is actually a bit better than black pepper for me. Sometimes I eat mango sushi with a mild chili sauce. Otherwise dying when eating spicy food is just life.

Back