black vs chocolate californian and cross breeding effects?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
with Californians you can have black or chocolate marked. with those colors how does that fit into the colors they carry? and since the cali markings are a cover-all for whatever else is in the genetics?

I have a cali doe. no known history. she seems to be pure cali. pretty good marking on her, albeit a bit sunned right now. she has chocolate markings.

my buck is silver fox. he is black. his pedigree is mainly black with one white GG grandsire. and one possibly blue as dam. I made note of it in pencil on the pedigree but it wasn't typed in it. I will have to ask on the sf fb group and see if I could find out. although I suppose that is how I got the 'blue??' to even start.

anywho..
with the doe being chocolate pointed does that mean she should carry chocolate?

I am just wondering if from this point I can begin to guess what sort of colors I can expect from them other than black. which the entire first litter seems to be so far. unless there is a false black hiding here and get more gold tipd steel, which gets boring.

If the sf is truly black then your odds are mostly to all blacks with some level of silvering as they age. If the doe is purebred she shouldn't carry much else but not knowing her background she could have a gene for dilute or rew. A self himi is a lot of recessives so there are fewer colors that can be covered up. The hidden steels that appear black kind of complicate things and it seems the sf breed is a bit of a mess in some areas so that can throw you all sorts of mystery colors. Uncommon breeds being crossed out to common meat breeds and then bred together until a 3 generation pedigree without the cross on it can be claimed contributes to a lot of confusing colors. rew, red(nonextension so also colors like torts), himi, and steel are some colors that sneak in from the most common crosses and then you have the people who are mixing their rare breeds. I bought some amchin x cinnamon rabbits once. A fully disclosed pedigree can be hard to find in some cases so assumptions you should be able to make about the genetics of a breed you can't.

thanks. I know I wont really be able to *know* what to expect but I like having some sort of idea of what general direction things will likely go.

I am keeping in mind the possibility of steels because I got lots of gold tipd steels from this buck with my past does. of course I am pretty sure that the past does had a lot of weirdness crossing and steel in their history.

so I am hoping that if I get steels it isn't an overwhelming majority like I had previously. I like steel for what it is. but when I got 95% gold tipd steel I was super done with that!

Latest posts

Back