Considering an Angora...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bantambunnies

Reaction score
Thinking on getting a single Angora as a pet, primarily, but I'm also interested in harvesting the wool. For years I've convinced myself that grooming would be too much trouble, but after attending a fiber festival recently and talking to some breeders there, I might change my mind.

How much time would I realistically need to devote to grooming? Many people say daily grooming is a must, but a breeder (of English and Satin Angoras) told me that only weekly grooming is necessary, if you're thorough (more often when molting).

I think English Angoras are awfully cute and I prefer the smaller size, but I'm not sure if the higher maintenance and lower wool production is worth it. Are all Angoras generally docile, or is one breed better for snuggling than another? I really want a very laid-back, social rabbit. I was also considering French and Germans.

Is plucking or clipping easier?
Can Angoras be housed in wooden hutches? (Provided that precautions were taken in the summertime to keep them cool)
Thanks!

I don't know about other Angora breeds, but I have several French Angoras and grooming them twice a week is plenty to keep their coats nice. (Although I usually do it every other day to reduce the number of mats in their fur.) They are very gentle and friendly. My youngest buck LOVES to cuddle! I've raised Satins before and had one pet Netherland Dwarf/Lionhead mix, but none of them were as well behaved as my Angoras. However, the way a rabbit is raised is probably the biggest determining factor in their behavior.

I find plucking easier than clipping because French Angoras have very delicate skin that cuts VERY easily. If the rabbit moves suddenly, it tends to end rather badly. :(

I keep all of mine in wood & wire hutches outdoors and they are fine. It gets very hot where I live during the summer, so I keep them sheared and provide frozen water bottles for them to lie next to.

My answer to all your questions is it depends on the line.

I groom my French only every other month or longer, generally when I am going to harvest or going to a show. Clipped my guy in Feb and just pulled him out last week to groom. It's very line dependent.

I would only clip is the rabbit does to pluck. Otherwise the fiber is not at it' prime. Mine hold their coats for 8-10 mos, and only really molt cleanly, so I clip. They don't have a double coat, that is not a problem. I put a comb between the skin and scissors and I haven't cut anyone in 3 years.

Whether English is more work depends on the breeder and whether they molt of not. They can produce as much fiber as French, that is also line dependent. The body is smaller but the fiber is denser.

Temperament is the same answer. I breed for show and fiber, I don't sell pets. As long as they don't try to kill me I'm ok, so temperament is not high on my list. I have some I know would make good pets, and others only as breeders, and then some I'll cull because I hate them.

Back