What now? Breeding my rabbits, not sure what happened

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
I have a small breed doe and a buck that I have bred once before. the first time they were perfect, she lifted and there were two fall offs and I got a litter of 6. I weaned them at 5 weeks. It has been 8 weeks since they were born. I wanted to breed them again. She is in good condition, and yesterday I checked her vent and it was a good dark pink. I put her in a cage closer to my buck and put his little house in with her. After a bit, I put her in with the buck. It looked like she lifted, and the buck went straight for her, but twice only "gracefully dismounted". Then she move and after a half second if even that he had a fall off. It was so fast I couldn't see if she lifted. Then, he kept going after her but she pinned her tail and sat there. This was all right before sunset. I put her back in her cage for the night and left the bucks hidey house in with her. This morning, an hour after sunrise, I went out and let her run around for a bit, checked her color again, still pretty pink, and put her back in with the buck. This time, she wouldn't stop growling and tried to bite him. I held her down, but this time the buck just sniffed her.

anyways, I am not sure if I should act like the breeding took or continue to put them together. I don't think it's a diet thing, for a few weeks before I fed her carrots and spinach every few days. But it might be. Do I palpate on day 14 and then rebreed if there is nothing? Do I wait the full month and give a nestbox? Do I keep trying to breed them? I am still new to rabbits so I am not sure.

At that point it is probably best to wait and see if their are kits. If she's acting like that she is unlikely to breed again soon and throwing random potentially bred days in there is only going to cause problems. Some does will agree to breed again after awhile even while still pregnant so it doesn't prove anything for certain putting them back together later. If they accomplish at least one mating and then the doe refuses it's simplest and safest to assume kits. One thing you can do in the future to be a little more certain is check the doe's back and underside for moisture that might show the buck missed or not.

Back