LGDs and rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence

Reaction score
I'm new to this site, mainly joined because some people pointed me here to learn about what LGD I should get. I had joined a Facebook page but got torn up because I said I was going to tether to where they could only be by the rabbits and then have some grass also. They told me I wouldn't be fit and that rabbits are protected enough with the cages. I mean, yeah, but there has been recent thefts of rabbits and whenever I do get to that level, and as now once I get more than 5 (which in my opinion is a lot for me) I want to know they are protected. I own two dogs who gaurd, but have absolutely no interest in protecting the rabbits. I also want to get a dog that will killsmall rodents that could kill kits.

Cn anyone point me to what breed, wether a LGD or not, and what I can do? I'll be buying it myself (a teenager) and would be training it to do this. I need any and all tips, ideas and cost saving things I could do with this project.

And also please no hate, I've dealt with enough the past two days about this topic

By LGD do you mean little guard dog? I know rat terriers are supposed to be great for killing rats and mice....

Livestock guardian dogs. And little dog could protect itself from the coyotes we get. I could possibly work out a team of a terrier and a bigger dog for its own protection, though

macksmom98":2tc9z6vp said:
By LGD do you mean little guard dog? I know rat terriers are supposed to be great for killing rats and mice....
And unfortunately little rabbits :x . The stray Jack Russell we had for a little while was able to get a babi :shock: es leg and pull it through the bottom wire . I still have no idea how she did it, but it was our first litter and she delivered that particular one to the kids :cry: . Not fun. They were older hutches that I bought used and the wire was evidently weaker than I realized (this was all pre-RT - I didn't have a clue what to look at or look for in a hutch/cage).

I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from. However, staking a LGD kinda defeats the purpose. They do need to be able to chase off predators and if they are chained they cannot do that. If they are close enough to the rabbits to really get the job done your going to be dealing with alot of tangled chain tether. It would be better if had a small enclosure and could enclose them with the rabbits.

Yes and I've taken note. But I've only got one other person who actually has helped me find another way to keep him in my yard without spending thousands on fencing around my 5 acre lot

The first dog to come in my mind is croatian sheepdog but I doubt that you have many in America. It is an all purpose farm dog, big enough to tackle a man, small enough to kill the rodents and if train right won`t kill other animals on the property. The "down" size is that he is in the similar state of mind as border collie so he needs constants occupation.

No need to spend thousands fencing in all 5 acres, when you could just fence in the rabbitry and maybe a space around it. That would add another layer protection to the rabbits too.

The problem is, any dog with a high enough prey drive to kill rodents might just decide to kill rabbits, if it gets bored enough.

If you intend to have a dog outside 24-7, it should be something able to handle your local climate. What part of the country are you in?

It's not your typical LGD but we had a bernese mountain dog who would protect anything you told him to down to dwarf hamsters and I've heard of them used a lot for mild protection of chickens that are closed up at night. Ours brought baby rabbits for us to help that the cats had found and started attacking. I managed to release several of his rescues back into the wild. They are very gentle dogs. Yet he kept all coyotes away, killed some possums, including one that I stumbled across and it hissed at me, slaughtered any rats you managed to scare far enough in to the open (of course they aren't little terriers that can hunt them down in the hiding places), and would follow stray dogs around watching that they didn't go near the animals and making them nervous until they left the property. He never did end up attacking a dog but the other dogs always left quickly without threatening anything else.

One of the main things is training. The best LGD will have been started young and they live with the animals they are to protect. Bernese mountain dogs are a little more family dogs, technically they might fall under draft dogs which pull carts, than typical LGD but they need to be taught what does belong and what is a threat very quickly and constantly. Our Bernese mountain dog was taken on a walk in the morning by my mom and me in the evening around the property line. He learned his property from 4 months old and did not need a fence. Even if he needed a fence an underground fencing system probably would have been plenty but Bernese mountain dogs are a fairly laid back dogs. More aggressive, less people oriented breeds do need fenced in for the protection of neighboring dogs and people. We had a great pyrenese at one point and had to fence him and put up a warning sign on the property. He tore my friend's coat once and that's not even one of the more aggressive breeds. He did lack training towards his job. True LGD also were bred to wander large areas with their livestock. Someone said they would go about 200 acres out looking for threats if not contained so a true LGD may not really be what you want versus and overall guarding dog that is oriented to it's "pack" (that includes people and the animals you have told it belong) and location.

This would not be quite the same with rabbits since you would never leave something so small unsupervised loose with even a young dog but it gives an idea.
http://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/ ... rdian-dog/

A little other info I found
Bernese Mountain Dog: Developed as an all-purpose farm dog, pulling carts, driving cattle and guarding, this easygoing dog is confident and gentle. The Bernese Mountain Dog can weigh from 75 to 105 pounds. Some may be aloof with strangers, but they generally get along with everyone, including children and other animals. The Bernese Mountain Dog has a moderate activity level. The best owner is an active one who lives in a suburban or rural environment. The Bernese Mountain Dog needs grooming, socialization and training.
http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-breeds/gu ... reeds.aspx

I only have experience with one bernese but some downsides I've read that go along with most LGD too is their stubbornness and need for a knowledgeable, positive based trainer that is a good leader. They also tend toward short lifespans along with most breeds from the same area because of the amount of inbreeding that wasn't really avoidable. Ours died at 9 but suffered cancer for about 3 years and had multiple surgeries to remove it before he had lost too much muscle mass from the area to be mobile.

Lawrence":2rkueeph said:
I'm new to this site, mainly joined because some people pointed me here to learn about what LGD I should get.

And also please no hate, I've dealt with enough the past two days about this topic

The people that pointed you to RT probably did so because they knew you would find no "hate" here. ;)

I agree with some of the others that a true LGD may not be the right choice for you. The only personal experience I have is with one Great Pyrenese that we had, and let me tell you, I will probably never get another.

At the time I had a few goats which is why we got him... but this was way before we had internet, and I really had no idea of how to go about training the dog because they are so different than dogs bred for other purposes.

Anyway- "Pilot" would dig under fences and roam the surrounding countryside, which wouldn't have been too bad since he always came home the same day... except that he had several bad habits that disturbed the neighbors. He would go and peer into the bedroom window of one couple in the wee hours of the morning like a peeping Tom, but worse than that he would go onto the deck of another neighbor and poop and pee on it. When he was out roaming and I went to get him to bring him back, he behaved as though I was a complete stranger and would not come near me, but it at least bothered him enough that he would then head home right away.

I tried a variety of methods to keep him home- first I attached a long line to his collar and tied it to a tire which he had to drag around. That worked because it would get caught in the hole he dug under the fencing- at least until he had worked on a particular hole long enough to pull it free. I actually got a call one day from the people who were victimized by his "peeping" when he had escaped. "I think your dog is over here, but someone has tied a tire to him!" she said in shock. :lol:

My next attempt was to make a huge collar for him based on the A-frame stick design used for goats that go through fencing. I cut the top off of a 55g plastic barrel and cut a hole in the center large enough for his neck. I hot glued a split garden hose to the inside edge to make it more comfortable and made a harness out of coated wire cable to keep it in place. This was my most effective attempt, but failed periodically when he would somehow get the contraption off.

Eventually I just had to keep him tied up at all times. During an internet search of the laws concerning dogs in California, I discovered that keeping a dog tied is against the law, so technically I could have gotten in trouble for doing so.

He was a gross dog even at home and would urinate all over his feed and water bowls. Another quirk was that he would not take food from your hands. This may have been something that was a trait of his lines (the breeder told me that the dogs would not eat from your hands) or it could be breed wide. :?

I am rather ashamed to admit that when he finally died of old age it came as a huge relief to me.

I have since learned that the method Akane described, of walking the perimeter of the property daily with your young LGD, is the way to train them to stay in their territory. If you want a dog that you can readily train basic behaviors- sit, down, come, etc.- LGDs are a poor choice. They are meant to rely on themselves and make their own judgement calls so don't much care what you want them to do. The only "command" Pilot knew was "sit," and that only because he was required to do so before he was fed.

We now have a whole pack of Aussies and Aussie/Border Collie crosses. They aren't specifically protective of any of the livestock that I can see, but they are protective of their territory and will kill skunks, rats, mice, and gophers. They alert us to coyotes, bobcats, and bears, as well as any vehicles that are approaching. (We live in the middle of nowhere so cars are just an occasional thing- if one or two vehicles pass per day that is a lot of traffic!)

Last year we had a bear come through our fenced in property on two occasions, but the dogs irritated it enough that it left before getting into the yard that holds our small livestock. We also had a raccoon come onto the property which they treed and my husband shot, but other than those cases it seems that due to the sheer number of dogs we have not many critters are interested in being here despite the smorgasbord of rabbits, chickens, and ducks that await them.

Despite the fact that I occasionally raw feed my dogs both poultry and rabbits, sometimes with feathers and fur still on, they are gentle with the live animals. If you worked with a pup to get it to really bond with the rabbits it might feel protective of them... I know that a lot of Aussies are good "nurse dogs" and will care for chicks, kittens, and other little critters. My dogs don't really get a lot of interaction with the rabbits since they are kept caged all of the time and I only take them out for routine care and when taking a doe to a buck for breeding, so they haven't had any chance to form an emotional attachment to them- they are just "there."

I had a golden retriever that would protect the smallest of animals - he was amazing. We were "dog sitting" for someone (my dad's ex-wife's fiance's dog :lol: ) and one of my rabbits got out. We heard a huge ruckus and went out to find their dog going nuts, and mine hunkered down in a corner - the rabbit had ran under a work table and he was guarding it from the other crazy one. Another time I had a chick that would peck him in the eyes :x , but he would sit there and take it, even letting it curl up and sleep with him. The dog makes a big difference, even within certain breeds that don't always make the best LGDs.

MamaSheepdog":2nmy5ar0 said:
I tried a variety of methods to keep him home- first I attached a long line to his collar and tied it to a tire which he had to drag around. That worked because it would get caught in the hole he dug under the fencing- at least until he had worked on a particular hole long enough to pull it free. I actually got a call one day from the people who were victimized by his "peeping" when he had escaped. "I think your dog is over here, but someone has tied a tire to him!" she said in shock. :lol:

We had one show up from a mile or so away hauling a cinderblock :lol: He finally had to stop and rest when he sank it in a hole by my stepdad's car shop.

Akane, your description of a bernese mountain dog reminds me of my newf. He is gentle to all things I own, but his parents were known to kill chipmunks. I'm guessing the behavior was encouraged. He is (thus far, non violently) protective of his family, and large enough to scare off most predators.
The problems is that those kinds of dogs can cost 1000's., they eat a ton as they grow, and require regular grooming. Possibly more expensive than the 5 acre fencing. Being very family oriented, they would not be happy living tied up away from people.

LGDs can make sheep and goats their "family," but, I'm not so sure that caged rabbits are capable of filling that social role for a dog.

akane":1nykqng3 said:
We had one show up from a mile or so away hauling a cinderblock :lol:

:lol: Good to know that I'm not the only one driven to such desperate measures! :p

Zass":1nykqng3 said:
LGDs can make sheep and goats their "family," but, I'm not so sure that caged rabbits are capable of filling that social role for a dog.

Good point. But I think it would be fine to "kennel" a dog in their area at night or when no one is at home.

__________ Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:09 pm __________

Oooh! Lookee there, Lawrence, an excuse to get yet another type of livestock!!! :twisted:

I have a friend who has a Maremmare (sp?) and he tied the dog to a stake in the sheep pen for a short period in order to bond it to the flock. it was a older pup and had no adult dog to train with.. so this was the best solution for my friend. The dog is now out with the flock 24/7 no issues.

There is a big difference between LGD breeds. Maremmas may look like Great Pyr but they were bred for a different kind of guarding - CLOSE guarding, Great Pyrs were bred to conduct border patrol and following sheep over vast mileage and that means not even acknowledging fences as a thing - as they aren't where they came from. The Spanish Mastiff is another breed of LGD used for close guarding. Having said that, NO LGD's are meant to be tethered. Not one. It defeats the entire point of getting one. You could tie any old dog out and it would serve the exact purpose of a staked out LGD (barking, a lot, and not capable of much else). I've had maremmas for rabbits and chickens. They will tolerate being limited to the coop/run or a small fenced area but they NEED a way to interact with what they are guarding. My last one would hold chickens down with a paw and try to groom their vent areas. They would also try to play tag though chickens didn't appreciate that much (imagine a dog nose booping a bird and running from the bird while the bird runs the other way, poor dog never got caught). He'd even bring his one ground bunny his toys and food as well as gently groom their face which they tolerated.

They were also famously used to save a community of penguins from extinction to foxes.

Just build a secure enclosure and make sure it's comfortably large enough (build it as big as you can), take the LGD out to "border patrol" your property (and ONLY your property) on a leash at least twice a day then return them to their secure pen with their friends. Don't ignore them and don't neglect them. Contrary to a lot of misinformation you CAN love all over your LGD and it is an effective training tool. LGD's are smart enough to know when they aren't loved or respected and will absolutely take off and find a new herd to run with where they get better treatment. These are extremely smart dogs capable of large amounts of independent thought. Ensure they have direct access to any animals they are expected to protect. You can maybe make your pen dig proof. Alternate rabbits allowed on the ground to exercise or pick a couple ground bunnies. Cages absolutely do hinder bonding to the point the LGD would feel alone in a pen with rabbits in cages.

But all that is only if you feel that LGD's are really what you need. They are more for hawks, coyotes, bears, stray dogs, etc. They generally are still human friendly and will usually greet a two legged trespasser with a smile (tethered dogs do not deter 2 legged trespassers either. They can easily see the dog can't reach them so will just walk around) Maremmas are slightly less human friendly than Great Pyrs but only a little, this is taking into account that in our county we have a genuine problem with great Pyr theft due to their friendly lab-like dispositions towards humans. You'll find many like stories of sheep thieves walking right past packs of Great Pyr or Great Pyr dams being stolen along with every single one of their puppies without a single sign of struggle. Few LGD were bred with aggression towards humans and the ones that were can be bigger threats to your livelihood than any would be trespassers as they have been known to try to wander and attack neighbor's and their animals unprovoked. Even mauling people you did invite to your property. They were bred to deal with gun wielding bandits in countries where there might not even be police to help, not suitable for most farms anywhere else.

I live in central arkansas. We can get hot weather and cold. This past month we got really bad hail. So what dogs would be good? I do have a pg mix. He has lab and gsd in him. I've shown him e rabbits before and he doesn't like them being near him. My mom recently said it does look like something is getting under the tarp at night, but it also could very well be the wind. She wants to get a game camera to keep an eye on them. But to get back to it what dog would be good? Could I get a pair. Like a small dog that will kill rodents and a big dog to protect the land. I do want another bigger dog once my mix passes so the coyotes don't get back again.

I have had good luck with training Pyrenees pups [ and they were raised with what ever they were supposed to protect]. but having such a dog is a long term commitment, they often die if you change your mind and just expect them to change "owners" or the "family" they protect .....

alforddm":18ftgwbq said:
I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from. However, staking a LGD kinda defeats the purpose. They do need to be able to chase off predators and if they are chained they cannot do that. If they are close enough to the rabbits to really get the job done your going to be dealing with alot of tangled chain tether. It would be better if had a small enclosure and could enclose them with the rabbits.

I have a friend who raises Pyrs, and the one she sent me was trained to those portable Premier electric fences--That could be the lower cost solution you need--in order to work effectively,LGDs need to roam, but they also need to respect fences-otherwise the dog becomes a problem in the neighborhood.

best of luck, and yes, LGDs work best in pairs- another breed is acceptable if it respects the LGD...

Back