toys

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I had lots of little pieces that I saved from making the cage. Mainly the little 45 degree pieces from the braces. I drilled holes in them along with a few kids abc blocks that I had left from making other toys. I drilled holes in different spots so the wood pieces wouldn't be uniform while hanging. Adds a little more unique look to the hanging pieces

Then I asked my sister if I could borrow some of her cake decorating food coloring. (Concentrated wilton gel food dye) mixed a glob (full tip of butter knife) of it in a cup of hot water to make sure it fully dissolved.

Added that to a bucket with more hot water- just enough to fully submerge the blocks of wood. Added the blocks. Stuck one bucket on top of the other to keep them under the water. The top bucket I used a plastic lid with a coffee can to weigh it down.

I let them soak I for a little over 24 hrs. Now they are drying fully outside. Gotta let them fully dry before storage or they can mold. I used to do this for my b&g macaw. If you want colors to pop leave it in for 24 hrs. I'd say soak a minimum of 8 hours. It takes a while to soak up the color. first time I did this yrs ago. It was a fail lol didn't let them soak long enough and didn't use the right kind of dye. (I used the liquid drops)

It saves money, it's a fun project to do with kids and it keeps my bunnies happy and teeth healthy. I plan on using sisal rope to string them. :)

-- Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:40 pm --

Be careful with the sisal rope. I haven't found any that doesn't smell horrible, it tends to be oiled which isn't good for them, smells like gasoline. I was going to try either hemp rope or paper twine instead for mine. Unless there is a pet safe sisal supplier available. But I'm in Canada so there tends to not be as much choice here so maybe that is the issue..

Latest posts

Back