? Advice - for getting the best oranges

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhWRabbitry

Reaction score
I am happy to now have some fawn/orange Mini Lops at our rabbitry.
It's a color I've always loved in rabbits from the start.
I've heard conflicting opinions...
To get oranges is it better to breed orange or fawn to the same - orange or fawn OR Orange/fawn to Black?

Thanks much for any feedback!

The difference between fawn and orange is the amount of rufus (red modifiers) so, if you really want one over the other you would stick as closely as possible to the same color. These colors are also supposed to be wideband. You can breed a fawn to an orange and will most likely get a mix of both fawn and orange kits (and possible torts if blacks have been used in their lines).

I'm not sure what the reasoning behind breeding to black would be. If you breed fawn/orange to a black you could end up with an entire litter of chestnuts or a mix of chestnuts, fawn/orange, and probably torts. You could also introduce smut from the black depending on what modifiers they have. Now, if the blacks came from lines that have frequently been crossed with fawns/oranges, you might end up with some good color because they would possibly carry the right modifiers but there is no guarantee.

Red is supposed to be wideband with even more rufus than fawn and orange.

alforddm":17rmoi7l said:
The difference between fawn and orange is the amount of rufus (red modifiers) so, if you really want one over the other you would stick as closely as possible to the same color. These colors are also supposed to be wideband. You can breed a fawn to an orange and will most likely get a mix of both fawn and orange kits (and possible torts if blacks have been used in their lines).

I'm not sure what the reasoning behind breeding to black would be. If you breed fawn/orange to a black you could end up with an entire litter of chestnuts or a mix of chestnuts, fawn/orange, and probably torts. You could also introduce smut from the black depending on what modifiers they have. Now, if the blacks came from lines that have frequently been crossed with fawns/oranges, you might end up with some good color because they would possibly carry the right modifiers but there is no guarantee.

Red is supposed to be wideband with even more rufus than fawn and orange.

Thanks so much for this reply! This helps me in making a decision I needed to make!
As far as reasoning for breeding orange or fawn to black, interestingly I'd been told by someone that breeding oranges to blacks brought out the orange more. It sounds like from what you are saying that this is not true and that the person was told incorrect information by someone else.

It very well could have been true in their situation. It might also be common for blacks that have been bred for "intensity" to have the right modifiers, it would just be more of a crapshoot.

Yes, fawn, orange, and red in mini lops are all A- ee genetically. They are just different levels of rufus. I'm not really sure how they determine what is a poor red vs a good orange, so that may be something to consider. By breeding a red to an orange or fawn your likely to get a range of colors somewhere between the two parents.

Back