Not so nice neighbor.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Apparently my rabbits have a nice new neighbor... Yup it's an opossum... Could it possibly cause them to keep from going into labor?... I have a doe about 2 or 3 days over and the other is retaining a live kit. *I believe it's still alive anyway.* I can't get Lavender apparently there's none. I'm gonna try a tum and some parsley though apparently those will get things into action... The other doe my gray one is obviously in pain and tired from retaining babies and I can't really move a hutch with two rabbits and I really would prefer not to.. We put a bunch of hot sauce mixed with water and soap *Apparently it's a deterrent* So wish me luck as I almost wander into the unknown of a rabbitry.. :x :x :x :x :x :x

Well my white one has two and they are one day apart and I gave her a tum and some dried raspberry leaf/stem. I did same for other doe who is refusing to eat anything all she is doing is drinking water now. I've heard they'll eat the babies if there's a predator. But she's pretty obviously pregnant and has been since March 22 when I bred her. For some reason she just isn't having them. She's went 33 days now. And not ate in at least a day or two. I mean same thing my other doe did but she's just not having them. She also had a huge wad of fur stuck in her eye possibly from her nest box that I took out. I tried to get her to take a tum and I offered her some raspberry but she won't have anything to do with either. The other doe willingly took the lavender and after a bit of trying devoured the tum... The other doe like I said won't touch anything she has built a nice nest btw and she keeps it nice. She don't poop or pee in it.. *I've checked she didn't like me moving her nest around though, so I haven't messed with it since; I used a rubber glove and just poked my fingers around feeling for poop pellets* I had to drag her out of her cage to get the hair out and I felt of her tummy I think I felt a baby or two move I think and she might be in labor, she seems very uncomfortable..

I am pretty sure that some of your others posts indicate you moved not long ago and have quite a few other animals around. I am wondering if they are stressed and maybe even reabsorbed some of the kits, as its pretty unusual to only get two and have her in labor for 24 hours......if nothing happens with this other one I would rebreed and allow them to get used to their new homes and surroundings. Hopefully over time they will be comfortable:) The small litters could also be from not enough covers, when you bred them did you get more than 1 fall off each?

Had 4 fall of's first go and then 3 the next go on my white doe. With my gray doe it was about 6 times and then we rebred a little later that same day and had 3 more.. They've been here about 3 months now and had time in the cage before being pregnant...

Yes, predators can cause a doe to hold off on kindling. I would suggest vigorous predator elimination along with shrouding the does cage with a thick blanket. Basically, make it as dark and snug an environment for her.

Back