What type of a ramp do rabbits need?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudyM

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We have had a few very warm days for spring, with full sun. Temp around 80 and I noticed my doe with 2 week old kits looks like she might be a little hot because she seems to be breathing a little faster - maybe just my imagination. But if she is hot already, I'm in a heapa trouble for when August comes around! It got me thinking what I can do to get more air flow. I have read about ice bottles and fans and they are already under a very large maple tree, but would like to see if just more air would help at least when it's this early in the season.

They ( 2 does, 1 buck, 8 kits) are in an 8x10 wooden shed with 2 windows and a double screen door (side by side). I can't open one of the doors though, unless I dig out a lot of dirt. They are hanging in separate cages about 3 feet off the floor and just under the window level. I thought if I could make little doors in the wood and have it open to cages outside, maybe 6 inches off the ground, they would cool themselves that way. That would take a pretty long ramp. Should I make it like steps? Will they even climb that high? My other idea is to just cut more windows in the wood and screen it, much easier, but will be needing the extra space for more kits anyway.

Hi,

rabbits do use long ramps, no problem with that. Mine has a vertical/horizontal ratio of about 1:3, it spans 180cm and drops 90cm. It's not the final one, need s to be about 1m longer to reach the floor, now the end lies on a turned over box.

It is rather rough plywood, with that this ratio is about the maximum they can manage without some skidding when going downhill.

I will add lots of shallow cuts with the chainsaw to give them better traction, like on the old ramp, which was a simple board with these grooves.

The first time they use it always looks awkward, but they learn fast.

And yes, I think they will climb :roll:
Dachhase.JPG

Attachments

• ramp1.JPG
    ramp1.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 959
  • ramp2.JPG
    ramp2.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 959
  • Buck3.jpg
    Buck3.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 959
I also used sturdy cardboard tubes (like for carpets, etc.) to connect hutches, with chainsaw slots cut into the bottom for better traction. Worked great, they only started to peel the cardboard a little at the ends after some months.

Unfortunatly I didn't attach the tubes really good, it was rabbit safe, but not fox safe :oops:

Back