Commercial rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbitdog

Reaction score
Well, here are the early results of the cross country rabbit trek that I made last fall. As mentioned earlier, just looking at these breeders, I have been very satisfied. Now, I've got 2 litters to compare. Next week, I'll have another litter of 9 to get one month weights on but I expect those to be very similar to the litter #2 below.

Litter #1:
2 year old NZW doe (purchased here in Va.) X commercial NZW buck (purchased in AL)
6 kits at one month weight = 5.2 lbs

Litter #2:
commercial doe (her first litter) X commercial buck (both from AL)
7 kits at one month weight = 7.2 lbs.

At only one month, I see this as a dramatic difference in growth. I will continue to track growth rates weekly on each litter as well as litter #3 which is currently only 3 weeks old.
Will keep you posted.

Rabbitdog":fcao85do said:
Well, here are the early results of the cross country rabbit trek that I made last fall. As mentioned earlier, just looking at these breeders, I have been very satisfied. Now, I've got 2 litters to compare. Next week, I'll have another litter of 9 to get one month weights on but I expect those to be very similar to the litter #2 below.

Litter #1:
2 year old NZW doe (purchased here in Va.) X commercial NZW buck (purchased in AL)

Litter #2:

At only one month, I see this as a dramatic difference in growth. I will continue to track growth rates weekly on each litter as well as litter #3 which is currently only 3 weeks old.
Will keep you posted.

When you say one month, how many weeks are you talking. i thought 8 to 10 weeks was good for five pounds.

Rabbitdog":31ae0rbb said:

Litter #1:

Litter #2:

Will keep you posted.

For litter 1 and 2, are those litter weights as a whole or an average across the litter?

I raise NZW/Cal Commercial stock. The weight difference between the two litters is quite large. Here are my weights across the 4 litters I have currently:

Litter 1:
7wk old NZW/Cal/AmChin: average weight of 2.75, min of 2.45, and a max of 2.85 Litter size: 9 Was 11 but sold 2 prior to weighing.

Litter 2:
6wk old NZW/Cal mixes: average weight of 2.81, min of 2.69, and a max of 3.02. Litter size: 9

Litter 3:
3wk old NZW/Cal mixes: average weight of 1.28, min of 1.28, and a max of 1.28 (All 3 weigh the same. Weird.)

Litter 4:
1wk old NZW/Cal mix: average weight of 1.62. Litter size: 5

Best of luck,
Cathy

Oops. let me clarify.

Litter #1:
6 kits at 4 weeks of age - total weight is 5.2 pounds
average weight per rabbit is 0.86 lbs.

Littter #2:
7 kits at 4 weeks of age - total weight is 7.2 pounds
average weight per rabbit is 1.03 lbs.

Sorry for the confusion.

Cathy,
Your weights on #3 are impressive. Question: how many kits were in that litter that created that average weight? Thanks for the info. I will be weighing these 3 litters weekly until they reach 5 lbs (hopefully before week 12). <br /><br /> __________ Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:26 pm __________ <br /><br /> Cathy,
Just re-read your post ... "all 3 weigh the same". Ignore my question above .... I'm slow.

But now I have another question. Litter 4 says ONE week old kits average over a pound???? Oh my! :eek:

Latest posts

Back